Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I have a 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 classic!

I am trying to get my bike set up since it was at my parents house for a year without care since I had moved, but now I am trying to get it into shape. I changed the oil, the spark plugs, and I am going to clean the carb.
I had a mechanic change the tires for me since I didn't have all the tools to get the tries off the rims, but while he was doing that he told me the rear brake cable had seized up. He said he could fix it, but that he was already booked up until July and I want to ride sooner than that. I am going to be ordering the part this weekend to have it by next week.

So my question is how difficult would it be for me to change it on my own?? I have tried to look up videos and I have not found one for my specific bike.
Thank you all in advance!

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
It's not a hard job just take your time and make sure you clean and grease pivot points before installing a new cable.
If you have a good read of the Service Manual it will make things easier prior to completing the repair.
I assume the part ordered is a new cable ?
I've attached a Picture of your Bikes rear brake components and Red arrows denote the pivot points I mentioned.
The rear Brake drum pivot is very prone to seizing up, Lower Red arrow.
Hope this helps..

·
Registered
511 Posts
Good advice. The only thing I can add is that for the brake drum pivot you should use a high temperature grease like brake caliper grease or a high temperature anti-seize.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not a hard job just take your time and make sure you clean and grease pivot points before installing a new cable.
If you have a good read of the Service Manual it will make things easier prior to completing the repair.
I assume the part ordered is a new cable ?
I've attached a Picture of your Bikes rear brake components and Red arrows denote the pivot points I mentioned.
The rear Brake drum pivot is very prone to seizing up, Lower Red arrow.
Hope this helps..

Thank you for the picture! Yes I already ordered the new cable! Do I have to remove the back wheel at all?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Oh yes you need the rear wheel out to remove the Rear brake panel that has the shoes attached, Remove the shoes to gain access to the Pivot.
Manual gives all the details...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Well strictly speaking, you don't have to remove the wheel just to replace the brake cable. HOWEVER, as greenisbest points out, you should grease all the pivot points that he indicated with red arrows, and to do that requires rear wheel removal and disassembly of the brakes. According to greenisbest the rear drum pivot point is prone to seizing. This is probably because it sees a lot of heat and with the passage of time, even a good quality grease will dry up. After all your bike is almost 20 years old. Picture what happens when someday you stab your rear brake and the brakes do not release. It's not a pretty picture.

If you are not comfortable doing this then I suggest you find a buddy who can lend you a hand. A box of beer and pizza goes a long ways in getting help. Just moderate the beer intake until the job is done. :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts