Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 97 kx250. the bikes rear brake caliper seems to be loosely mounted but i couldn't get the bolts to tighten down. I was wondering if they were designed to be loose like that for a floating purpose. If anyone knows about this please tell me thanks.

·
Dirt Bike Dad
144 Posts
what do you mean by loose?
Sideways play?
Back and forward play?
I know my '95 250 rear brakes have a little back and forward play, this is normal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has some back and forth. But also some side to side. Could this be cause i need brake pads or is it not mounted correctly.

·
Dirt Bike Dad
144 Posts
when you press the pedal does it close the pads on the disc firmly?
side to side play in the pads or in the whole caliper?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The brakes still work well. When the brake is depressed the pads grip the disc firmly. When released though the whole caliper has play side to side along with the brake pads.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Did some reasearch. They are supposed to have some play because of the design of the calipers. They are called floating calipers.

A floating caliper (also called a "sliding caliper") moves with respect to the disc, along a line parallel to the axis of rotation of the disc; a piston on one side of the disc pushes the inner brake pad until it makes contact with the braking surface, then pulls the caliper body with the outer brake pad so pressure is applied to both sides of the disc.

watch this video and at 2:51 you will see how the caliper moves. Mystery solved:shock:

Video Library | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

I guarantee it you press the brake lever down and you try to wiggle it the caliper will be rock solid.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts