Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 Kaw VN 1500 "88" USA edition Vulcan. Yesterday, on a 60 mile ride for Hospice with over 350 bikes, I noticed at the end of our ride a trail of oil from the gasket of the rear vtwin cylinder at the rear of the gasket above the left side exhaust. The oil had blown by and down on the drive shaft cover. Also there was some small puddles of oil under the bike. My wife had oil on her left boot as well. After investigation, when I returned home, I noticed that I can not remove the chromed heat deflector at the top of the head for the cycle frame is in the way. I took of the fuel tank and I was able to remove the Right side chrome heat deflector and saw that oil was seeping from the left side rocker case and cylinder head. From online mechanics service manuals I own, I see that there is no gasket between these to cylineder components. I started the engine and let it idle and saw "no" pumping of oil but did notice a trickle of oil in areas explained above. No noticeable oil level loss and no lack of power or no noticeable engine sound from th cylinder. I removed the fuel tank. I did not REV the engine, I just let it idle with the fuel that remained in the fuel lines and fuel pump until it stalled a few minutes later.
What solutions are there for correction of this seep that may turn into a leak?
Could I have blown out the left side cam shaft oil SEAL? Can this be replaced without engine removal? The bike has only 27000 original miles. Help!!
JP In Ocala FL

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
Sure it isn't the cam plug leaking? Cam plug leak is a problem for the 1500 and oil gets everywhere. Comes down between the funs on the rear jug and drips off the exhaust flange. Cheap fix but 5 hours labor.

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
The local dealer mechanic told me to clean the plug really well, wipe down with alcohol and put a thin layer of clear silicone over the plug. May or may not work he said, but worth trying before you go pulling the engine.

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
I'll let you know when I get my leak fixed. Right now I'm just cleaning the oil off every couple days and riding it as-is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.