Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the MC front bars, but haven't installed them yet. I have seen rear bars on some bikes and like them. Are they available for my '07 900 LT?

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
They're typically called "Dresser bars" and are usually installed to protect expensive hardbags, often with bars that fully wrap the bags.

I don't think they're available commercially for the 900, but you know what they say....

If you can't buy it, build it!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh well....thought I would ask. I can't ride my bike yet, so I thought I would get my bars on first. I start my MSF course tomorrow...finish up next weekend.......then comes the fun part....... practice, practice, practice.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Oh well....thought I would ask. I can't ride my bike yet, so I thought I would get my bars on first. I start my MSF course tomorrow...finish up next weekend.......then comes the fun part....... practice, practice, practice.
Absolutely... and when you're confident enough for the highway and some of the local mountain twisties, we've got a great group you can ride with.

When you're confident enough to drag the floorboards in the twisties, we've got ANOTHER great group of crazies you can ride with!

There's at least one other BTK member up in Hesperia with a sweet 1500.

Normally, staging for the SoCal BTK rides is in Buena Park, but the last ride and the one next weekend, we're combining with my riding club and running multiple staging points. It won't be an every-month kinda' thing when we combine though. My club is a little quick for the skill level of many of the forum riders in the mountain/canyon roads, though when I'm leading, I hold a slower pace.

One of the guys on the last ride only had 300 miles on his bike when he arrived at the primary staging point. We almost always have at least one or two who are on their first group ride.
Typical rides are anywhere from 200-400 miles, and we try to make it as little slab as possible, though this time of year it's too cold and risky up in the mountains, so we tend to make the ride about the destination, rather than the ride. This month we're going to PioneerTown outside of Yucca Valley. Last month was Calico Ghost town.

April, we'll be going up and over Palomar and on to Julian so Mark can have some pie... that's how the whole SoCal BTK ride thing started... Mark wanted some pie and he told us about it.
We've done the OC coast and over Trabuco Canyon to Cook's Corner, we've done slab to Oceanside and taken the coast down to Old Town San Diego for Mexican food, then back up the 15 and over Ortega Highway, back to Cook's, and we've done the Malibu canyons for lunch at the Rock Store and then on down to PCH.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hopefully I will be accomplished enough to make the April ride. I am a little scared about the course. What happens if I don't pass? I just won't even think about it.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Hopefully I will be accomplished enough to make the April ride. I am a little scared about the course. What happens if I don't pass? I just won't even think about it.
You'll pass.

They design the courses for people who have never even seen a bike before.

Go to their web site and buy "MSF Guide to Motorcycling Excellence" and study it before the course if you have time... the classroom will be a breeze after that.

On the range, you'll be on and working with the bike for an hour before you even move it under it's own power with your feet off the ground.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
They're typically called "Dresser bars" and are usually installed to protect expensive hardbags, often with bars that fully wrap the bags.

I don't think they're available commercially for the 900, but you know what they say....

If you can't buy it, build it!
Hi Toni. I have the 900 also. Rich is right, they don't make rear engine guards for our bike yet. Good luck with the test.

D

·
Registered
789 Posts
Just relax and enjoy, it's intense but fun, follow the coach's instructions and you'll do fine. Our class of ten ranged from 22-67 including two women we all passed.

Good luck

·
jerkybear's Vulcan
418 Posts
Hi, Toni. I took the MSF course in mid august. It was absolutely great except for the heat exhaustion. I had never ridden a bike. I didn't have any idea how to shift the transmission. I started out slow, but at the end, I was one of three that was 100% on the riding test. You will do fine. Like Zero said,"just relax and enjoy." After you finish, practice, practice, practice, practice........Oh, did I mention practice.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts