Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear signal light does not come on with the headlights the way the other 3 do but all 4 lights flash normally for turn signals. The bulb is a single element with one power lead and one ground so it isnt like one of the elements is burnt out. Little confused on what could cause that.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
check to make sure all of the wires that connect to that light are connected. I couldn't figure out why my left (front and back) signals wouldn't work on my ZX7. The wire running to the light was hanging loose. They don't light up ALL the time so I'm sure that you have another wire that is loose.

·
Registered
412 Posts
If your rear turn signals are amber, then they should not come on. Only the front one's come on with the headlight. It is illegal in most states to have any other color then red for rear running lights.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ohh, so then my problem is that one of the turn signals is staying on. Thank makes sense because the turn signal indicator light on the instrument display is sort of half lit and glowing-similar to when there is a problem in a car. Thanks, that clarified my actual problem. The light that stays on still flashes with a turn signal, any ideas what would cause it to remain on under normal condtions?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yes, that is why the front bulb is dual filament and the rear is single filament. You only need the single filament for the rear as it only works for blinking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, thanks a lot for the info. Any idea what could be causing this? Have only owned the bike for about 2 months- lot to learn about everything from riding to maintence but loving the experience so far. Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Remove

Remove the rear bulb tha tis glowing and check that the lamp is the correct single element one. Clean the socket with something like wd-4- and then apply some electrical grease in the socket and on the bulb base not the glass and reinstall it. You most likely have a bad bulb... MOST IMPORTANT, give us feedback so that we know what fixed it. I just fixed the same problem with a Mazda when someone put the wrong lamp/bulb in... The rear turn signal lamp is a single element, not a double.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I pulled both bulbs out. Both are single element bulbs. Either way, from what I understand, no power should go to that bulb unless it is being flashed. In my case it is about half bright always-similar to the fronts, then flashes brightly during signaling. The power at the socket makes me suspect a wiring issue. Thanks for the input

1 - 8 of 8 Posts