Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I don't post much on this forum, but there is a lot I've learned from reading your posts. I hope I can get some help here.

I just replaced my tires and reassembled everything. While the bike was still on the jack, I fired her up to make sure the rear wheel was aligned. The tire and the rear brake looked perfectly straight to me. The rear belt pulley, however, looked like it wasn't aligned. There was somewhat of a wobble as the wheel was spinning.

I know that I tightened everything according to the specs and even made sure the rear axle was at the same tick marks on both sides. The belt is at the correct tension too. I checked everything multiple times.
I took the bike out for a very small test ride and there didn't seem to be a problem.

Is this normal?

Thanks!

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
spinning on a jack my pulley also has a slight wobble, always did.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
I have had my 900 for 3 years and just recently finally got the wheel to where it is running without pushing the belt to the inside/outside causing all kinds of squeal. If it is lined up with the tic marks both sides the belt runs inside. Now have the right side about 3/16 inch further forward than the left. No squeal. Have not noticed if the pulley wobbles.

·
Registered
362 Posts
wheel alignment

I have had my 900 for 3 years and just recently finally got the wheel to where it is running without pushing the belt to the inside/outside causing all kinds of squeal. If it is lined up with the tic marks both sides the belt runs inside. Now have the right side about 3/16 inch further forward than the left. No squeal. Have not noticed if the pulley wobbles.
If you run that way for awhile,then check your brake pads.You will find that they are wearing at a slight angle.If the wheel is not straght,neither is the rotor,thus the uneven pad wear,

·
Motorcity Metric Mad Man
886 Posts
Hi all,

I don't post much on this forum, but there is a lot I've learned from reading your posts. I hope I can get some help here.

I just replaced my tires and reassembled everything. While the bike was still on the jack, I fired her up to make sure the rear wheel was aligned. The tire and the rear brake looked perfectly straight to me. The rear belt pulley, however, looked like it wasn't aligned. There was somewhat of a wobble as the wheel was spinning.

I know that I tightened everything according to the specs and even made sure the rear axle was at the same tick marks on both sides. The belt is at the correct tension too. I checked everything multiple times.
I took the bike out for a very small test ride and there didn't seem to be a problem.

Is this normal?

Thanks!
Mine is the same way. I noticed the slight wobble, but I do have a belt squeek and can't get rid of it.

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts

I did the same thing trying to get rid of the belt squeal on the 900. It worked but I didn't leave it that way for long. I found that under hard braking the rear drifted left pretty good... not fun. My finial solution… use some Harley belt dressing, light application once every couple of months and I’m good. :cool:

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
The rear belt pulley, however, looked like it wasn't aligned. There was somewhat of a wobble as the wheel was spinning.

Is this normal?

Thanks!

Yes, the OEM 900 pulley has some run-out. Check the inside of the pulley as it has been machined where the outside is just cast.

·
Organ Donor
219 Posts
+1

I also had to monkey with the belt alignment to stop squeaking. Because of the wobble it was hard to keep the belting from rubbing in the front or back. I got it to a point where it only rubbed slightly on the outside of the rear pulley once per revolution and that cured the squeak problem for the most part. The adjustment was so slight that the tick marks still appeared to be lined up for the most part.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the same problem. I have spent days trying to figure out why? I can tell you that mine has something to do with the green rubber dampers under the pulley adapter. I can assemble the wheel without them installed, spin it & the pulley runs true. I put them back in and it wobbles. I put a tape mark on the rim where it is out of alignment. Took it back apart and removed 1 of the dampers. Spun again & still wobbles. Took out the other damper in the area marked on the rim. Spun it and no wobble. I have tried moving the dampers in different combinations around the hub with no improvement. I have tried modifying the dampers, with no improvement. I can't find anything wrong with the rim or the pulley adapter. I am at a loss? I know what is causing the problem, but can't seem to come up with a solution....

·
Registered
1 Posts
You may have just saved a lot of work, that was my winter project to take the wheel apart and find out what's wrong with the cush drive. Kawai don't seem to have an answer, I think the belt squeak people hear is due to the excessive run out on the rear pulley. I adjusted mine so that the belt runs as true as possible under these circumstances. I really liked my bike until I went on a trip this summer and found out my speedo was out 10 percent, I don't like the vibration when you try to drive freeway speed. I changed my back tire from a 180/70/15 to a 170/80/15 and that helped about 5 percent, I will be installing a new rear pulley this winter to get it where it needs to be.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts