Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
07 Vulcan 900 Classic - no mods done to the electrical system, all stock.

Noticed tonight that the right turn signal operates, but blinks at a much higher (2 or maybe 3x the norm) rate than the left. Front and rear turn signals blink at the same rate - both left signals blink correctly, both right signals blink fast. Front running lights operate correctly, both rear running lights are out.

Not the bulbs, because they both blink, and they're single filament.
Relay? But would that cause the rear running lights to not work? Tail, headlight, and license plate lights all work fine, all LED indicators are working.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
A fast blink rate is usually an indication of a blown bulb in the circuit. I'd suggest replacing all turn signal bulbs. Not sure about your bike, but Kawasaki's from the 80's had dual filiment bulbs with one for the turn signal and the other for runing lights. Most bike's had 1157 dual filiment bulbs in the front with 1156 in the rear. 1157 was also used for the running/tail light
brake light combination.

Unless the previous owner put dual filiment sockets in the rear turn signals, those will have single filiment bulbs for turn signals.

If you do add runing lights,my understanding the some states require red lenses as yellow or amber is to be used only for turn signals.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
I used to live in San Diego til 6 years ago. Been out to sunrise highway,Julian and Palomar? Otay lakes was at one time a good ride, but now with all the homes on telegraph canyon road, it gets crazy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used to live in San Diego til 6 years ago. Been out to sunrise highway,Julian and Palomar? Otay lakes was at one time a good ride, but now with all the homes on telegraph canyon road, it gets crazy.
Do all the back roads quite regularly! Not really fond of Telegraph Canyon Rd - too many kids with too much HP, and not enough brains. :mad:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I feel a little stoo-pid.... The rear turn signals are just that - turn signals. No rear running lights. Hey, I can't see the lights on the back at night!

But there WAS a broken ground wire on the license plate light. Soldered that back on (after testing for continuity between the plugs at the rear of the fender, and the terminal block under the sear), and everything works as advertised. Still can't figure out the difference in the flash rate - all the bulbs are working just fine.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
If you have the old style flasher vs. the electronic one, it works off of load or amps being drawn through it. The more amps the faster it heats up and trips the flasher. It's like connecting a trailer to a vehicle w/o heavy a duty flasher. The extra amp draw will make it blink 2-3x as fast as normal. If you have dirty/loose connection it might cause the same symptom. That's the only thing I can think of that might be causing it if you've already tried switching out the bulbs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts