Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
500R Rear shock options

Hi all, I'm new to the forum, and was looking for some answers about replacing the rear shock. My wife just got an 05' Ninja 500r.

I had read on here that it might be possible to replace the rear shock with one from a 636. What years 636 would work, and what is involved with the swap? Also, does the 636 shock have adjustable rebound and dampening?

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasn't thinking right away, but for a future mod. For when she gets better at riding, and can understand and feel the need for a better shock.

Actually the ride hieght is ok. She can just about put both heals down. She let me ride it to work the other day, and I s****ped the belly pan on the hump in the drive way coming home :shock: ouch!! It's low enough.

I'm a recent convert to the importance of upgrading the suspension on bikes after feeling the difference a little bit of work made on my own bike. (03' SV650)
Mostly I'm just compiling a list of what I could do to the ninja in the future.

·
Registered
305 Posts
She let me ride it to work the other day, and I s****ed the belly pan on the hump in the drive way coming home ouch!! It's low enough.
I've done that many, many times. Alot of times i've had to go diagonal, while basically walking on the hump to get the weight off the bike to not s****e.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
If you want to look at replacement shocks have a look at Penske, Works Performance and Hagon. Although Ohlins are nice they are not adjustment friendly when on the bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wilbers for the ninja

Ive been hearing alot of good things from fellow riders of my local bike club with the wilbers brand. Two or three guys have them on their ninga, some others guys have ohlins, but the wilbers seem to be the favorite among the guys, bewtween me and about 4 others guys are about to get them on our ninga's soon. Their built to your riding weight and can be lowered and such. I dont know all the details on them but I know they are available with high and low speed compression dampng, which ohlins doesnt have plus rebound damping, all fully adjustable they look pretty **** fancy too. In about 2000 miles im going to throw them on mine. There is also a guy on here i talk to once, tristen2000, he has alot of info on them, plus you can check their website out at www.wilbersusa.com. Hope it helps

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
At $759.00 for adjustments I'd go with what is race proven and avaialble from many tuners out there. Places like Linderman Engineering, Race Tech, etc Penske, Works and Ohlins. Ps Ohlins does have shocks that do high and low speed compresion damping.

·
Registered
2 Posts
They dont have high and low speed adjustable compression damping. I know that for sure. The wilbers are also fully rebuildable and have a 5 yr warranty which ohlins doesnt carry. The guys I know feel there race proven. The one guy has had them on his bike for the last 4 yrs and not a problem

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
On the track the privateers use Penske and the sponsored riders use Ohlins....

·
Registered
3 Posts
1Adam12 said:
At $759.00 for adjustments I'd go with what is race proven and avaialble from many tuners out there. Places like Linderman Engineering, Race Tech, etc Penske, Works and Ohlins. Ps Ohlins does have shocks that do high and low speed compresion damping.
Ohlins does offer it, but only in rare applications, you can't get it for all Kawasaki's if any. And as for race proven, Wilbers is. They sponsor many racers, but all are in Europe. The US distributor is new over here. Ohlins does sponsor more people, but there is alot of riders, cruisers, racers using wilbers that are more happy with them than ohlins or the others.........so we just need to be more open minded to new high quailty products. There is such a thing as competition.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts