Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys.YurFatMom what would be the right rear shock spring rating for my 02 kx if I weigh 230 lbs?I'm seein on the tech site it has 165-180 lbs is a 5.3 rating heavy.i was lookin at the kx 500 ratings and for 175 + its a 5.7.And for a kdx 220 its a 5.4 for 200+lbs and says extra heavy spring.Are these in the same ballpark or is it all different for just the kx?.I was just curious cuz I am right much heavier than 180 lbs.Any help would be appreciated dude thanks!

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
What's up guys.YurFatMom what would be the right rear shock spring rating for my 02 kx if I weigh 230 lbs?I'm seein on the tech site it has 165-180 lbs is a 5.3 rating heavy.i was lookin at the kx 500 ratings and for 175 + its a 5.7.And for a kdx 220 its a 5.4 for 200+lbs and says extra heavy spring.Are these in the same ballpark or is it all different for just the kx?.I was just curious cuz I am right much heavier than 180 lbs.Any help would be appreciated dude thanks!
The reason these springs are for other bikes are heavier than your KX250, but yet are set up for lighter people, is because of the different leverage ratios on the rear suspension, valving, the weight of the bike, ect. Follow the Race Tech site's recommendations.

-If you change the rear shock spring, the fork springs must be replaced to match the new rear spring. Otherwise the bike will be unbalanced and it will handle like a green p.o.s.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok cool.the tech site did say for the fork spring weight it would be stock for the 160-180 lb rider so i guess im still too heavy?.Not like I do many jumps anyways but in the event ya know.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
You need the balance between the front and rear, for the bike to turn, take hits, and track in a straight line properly, not just for jumps.

·
Registered
94 Posts
im running a pro circuit 5.2 coil on the back and pro circuit forks on the front so yea you can run same suspenion as a kx if your really wanted too. one problem though =( you gotta have a big wallet, i payed 499 for the spring in the back and 650 for the front but you should find for cheaper

·
Another old dirt bike guy
566 Posts
im running a pro circuit 5.2 coil on the back and pro circuit forks on the front so yea you can run same suspenion as a kx if your really wanted too. one problem though =( you gotta have a big wallet, i payed 499 for the spring in the back and 650 for the front but you should find for cheaper
Then you got taken to the cleaners! You can have the front and rear suspension both revalved and resprung for like $600-$700 at Pro Action.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts