Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Rear spring rate

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  supercoup93 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 classic I have done a major conversion to it added 5 inch extended bags and fender a tour pack and all sorts of other things we are in the process of trying to fix the rear suspension on it because with two passengers it does bottom out so we are stuck at trying to figure out what the factory spring rate is because we know whatever that rate is we need to go up does anyone have an idea on what the factory spring rate is for this bike

#3 ·
Apparently there is no aftermarket spring for my bike only the factory one which is fine cuz we're just going to make something work and modify another one to work my big question though is what the spring rate is for the factory one so I know that I need to go up from there but for some reason Kawasaki and no one I talk to can tell me what the spring rate is on the factory spring for my bike

#5 ·
Hi
I have an 02 Vulcan classic. had the same problem of the rear tire scrubbing the fender, in fact Kawasaki ran the wiring to the tail lites right in the middle of the fender and the tire rubbed through the loom.My. you'll never get it to stop bottoming advice, throw the stock rear shock outYou'll never get it to stop bottoming out. progressive shocks is the way to go. A bit pricy but a precision piece of equiptment. Completely adjustable in many ways and rebuildable. I replaced the rear shock and rerouted the wire loom to run outside the rear fender under the fender rail and back into the fender near the tail light. I ride 2 up all the time. My wife is 115 lbs. could not stop the stock Kawasaki shock from bottoming. The progressive shock made the bike feel like riding a different bike. well worth the money. Hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.