Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few hours of riding experience from many years ago and am looking to buy a new bike. I really like both the 1500 and 1600 classic models but have been also shopping other brands. Yesterday I was looking at the Yamahas and the salesman was telling me why the belt drive and the rear single shock versus dual shock outboard mounted suspension and air cooling were so much better. What are the real pros and cons? :?: :?:
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

of course they are - that's what he's selling :lol:

belt - no lubrication,decent life,no sprocket replacement,quiet,-subject to stretch,subject to break(no fun)

chain-needs lubrication,chain and sprocket replacement may be needed with long term wear,
a little noisey,very little stretch,can change gearing easily,very strong not likey to break,

suspesion-both single shock,dual shock,and swingarm are all good suspensions imo

air cooled- subject to overheat in slow traffic,more stress on engine,loose tolerances on air
cooled motors can cause leaks, more frequent oil changes,

water cooled- tight engine tolerances(no leaks), maintains consistant engine operating temps
easier on oil, maintenance required(hoses,radiator,coolant),hoses may need periodic
replacement

these few differences may help you-all in all i own a water cooled and a air cooled bike
and have had no problems with either one - one is belt drive also- it seems to be a matter of personal preference-with proper maintenance and up keep both types are very reliable or at least have been for me

also there is less driveline power lose than shaft drive and generally less driveline slop

hope this helps :wink:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts