Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what the widest rear tire I can run with the stock wheel and swing arm? I'd like to go 240+ if I can...I'm not finding much info on it. What are you guys running? Thanks.

·
Millenium Vulcan Pilot
3,808 Posts
I am running a Metz 880 240 rear on my V2K.
So is ImpactG and I believe Lowflyer.

All of us are using the stock wheel. Not sure how much wider you can go with the Stock wheel, but I'd be nervous trying it.

I believe there is a mod that some company call Brit does on the V2K, and I think they use a 300 rear, but that is not on a stock Wheel.

Some people out here are using Car tires on the Rear. There are those of us who WON'T do this, but there a few that are. It's called going to the Dark Side, and you can search on that and find those posts.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am running a Metz 880 240 rear on my V2K.
So is ImpactG and I believe Lowflyer.

All of us are using the stock wheel. Not sure how much wider you can go with the Stock wheel, but I'd be nervous trying it.

I believe there is a mod that some company call Brit does on the V2K, and I think they use a 300 rear, but that is not on a stock Wheel.

Some people out here are using Car tires on the Rear. There are those of us who WON'T do this, but there a few that are. It's called going to the Dark Side, and you can search on that and find those posts.

Good luck.

How much wider than stock does the 240 look on the stock rim? Do you know if anyone is making a 'mimic' 8 or 8.5 inch wide rim for this Kawasaki?

·
Millenium Vulcan Pilot
3,808 Posts
How much wider than stock does the 240 look on the stock rim? Do you know if anyone is making a 'mimic' 8 or 8.5 inch wide rim for this Kawasaki?
I don't know anything about any other rims for the V2K, maybe someone else does. Like I said, the Brit company mods use a wider rim for their 300 tires, but I don't know the name of the rim company. I'm sure you can do a search on the Brit mods and find some posts.

As far as how much wider the 240 looks. It's kinda deceiving, it's only about 3/8 of an inch wider I'm told. I think ImpactG measured his. The tire is wider, but it gets pulled in on the narrower rim, if you had a wider rim it may be a little wider, like 1/2 inch, not sure. But when you look at it from behind, it just seems to fill out the fender more, even though 3/8 of an inch isn't much.

If you do a search on the 240 rear tire, you may find a pic or two of people that took pics before and after.

Here is my V2K from the rear, not sure how much you can tell from it.
[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
I thought that was the 200 width you were showing ... !
Now, if I´m not wrong, the 240 is 40 mm wider than the 200, that is 4 cm, in other words a bit more than 1 and 1/2 inches.
Am I correct ?

·
Millenium Vulcan Pilot
3,808 Posts
I thought that was the 200 width you were showing ... !
Now, if I´m not wrong, the 240 is 40 mm wider than the 200, that is 4 cm, in other words a bit more than 1 and 1/2 inches.
Am I correct ?
Send ImpactG a PM to be sure, but I believe he measured it ON THE BIKE and it was only 3/8" wider, and that may be because it's being pulled back in on a narrower rim than it should have. I may be wrong, but I never actually measured it. But your right, 40 mm = 1.57 inches. But at the same time a 2x4 you buy at the hardware store isn't 2"x4"...:lol: So I don't know how tires work out.

The look is more prevelant in person. The picture really doesn't show the extra width very well.

·
Registered
410 Posts
before i went to a 225 car tire i had a 240 metzler tire on it. The 240 tire is wider than stock but is Not 240mm. When i had it on my bike i measured it since it looked narrower compared to people that a 240 came stock on their bike. a 240 tire on my stock wheel was 221-225mm wide. andthat tire only lasted 4900 miles on my bike.

chris

·
Perpetual Motion
6,663 Posts
Send ImpactG a PM to be sure, but I believe he measured it ON THE BIKE and it was only 3/8" wider, and that may be because it's being pulled back in on a narrower rim than it should have. I may be wrong, but I never actually measured it. But your right, 40 mm = 1.57 inches. But at the same time a 2x4 you buy at the hardware store isn't 2"x4"...:lol: So I don't know how tires work out.

The look is more prevelant in person. The picture really doesn't show the extra width very well.
What Mike said is correct.

It actually measures about 3/8" wider (from just eyeing with a rule) and this was on the bike, both tires. That being said, it looks much larger than that compared to the 200 because it fills out the fender better. Because you're pulling the 240 onto the stock rim it rounds it some, so it sits a bit taller. I had my bike sitting next to another 2K with the 200 and it was definately noticable.

The metz is a great choice, for me anyways. Sticky and has held up well. Have about 4,000 on mine with a ton of tread left. Not sure how some of the others ride, but I don't get too crazy with it. Haven't done a burnout or anything - just normal use. Handles like a dream.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So 240 on the stock rim and no worries? thanks alot guys. that helped out a bunch...

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Surely it looks better live than in photograph.
I take note of Metzeler. I will change my rear tyre next month and I may just go for that brand.
Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts