Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else having trouble finding a rear tire the dealer called me today and said she looked everywhere for that size and no luck. I have another dealer looking and after a while he said leave it with him and get back to me. 180 70 15 rear.

·
944 Posts
Found this one in about 10 seconds on Amazon.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its for my 2020 900 Vulcan classic LT I also see the tire on Forte nine but I wanted to get it from the dealer or any dealer so they would install it. It looks like I might be buying from Amazon and paying the dealer to do the install, this is the first time in my 50 yrs of riding that I haven't been able to order right from the dealer I bought the bike from.

·
944 Posts
Well if the dealer cannot get it, then they should not have any issues with installing a tire you bought elsewhere. It is very strange that the dealer could not find a tire for you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She said she called all the places she orders from with no luck still waiting for the other guy to call back. I;m right a the wear line on the tire lucky for me the weather turned damp & cool.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not sure where you're located, fwiw, I was in ACS motorcycle repair shop in Melbourne, FL last week, they had one that size in stock, I was looking for a 170/80-15. Had not realized there was a 180/70-15.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Up here in Windsor Ontario the tire is on my 2020 Vulcan I just ordered one from a place call Forte nine Shipped $216 thats about $140 US .Some other dealer 50 miles from here wanted $329 if I picked it up I think someone is getting rich there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You're overthinking this, Gary. Buy the tire you want for the price you're happy with, online or whatever. Pull the wheel. Take new tire, wheel with old tire, and ten bucks to your local independent tire shop. The kind that sells automobile tires. Balance wheel on a rod across two kitchen chair backs. Re-install wheel. Profit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The tire is on the way then I will go to the dealer and have it installed its a hard size to find this year normally its in stock at the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
10,810 Posts
You're overthinking this, Gary. Buy the tire you want for the price you're happy with, online or whatever. Pull the wheel. Take new tire, wheel with old tire, and ten bucks to your local independent tire shop. The kind that sells automobile tires. Balance wheel on a rod across two kitchen chair backs. Re-install wheel. Profit.
A lot of your options depend on where you are: no auto tire place around here will mount a bike tire, and no bike tire place around here will mount a car tire. Not even the Honda place will do car tires anymore. And I've found zero places anymore that will mount a car tire on a bike rim. Zero. Slowly but surely I've been collecting what's needed to change my own tires but I fear I'm too old to be messing with it.

·
944 Posts
I had a buddy who bought one of those motorcycle tire changers where you mount the main stand into the trailer hitch of your car or truck.

It's a good idea for those that don't want to permanently bolt it to your garage floor. He was going to pay for it by charging a small fee for changing tires. After changing a couple of tires he gave up and sold it cheap. Even with a tire changer that functions like an automotive one, its hard work when you have to manually exert the needed forces. For the few times you need to change a tire, local shops here charge around $35 CDN ($25 USD) to remove old, install new and balance. That's if you bring the wheel in to them so they don't have to remove it from the bike. Good deal IMHO.

Or just go with a good set of motorcycle tire irons if you like doing it yourself. Get the really long ones.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Dunlop D404 that came on the bike is a Kawasaki Only tire. It's not available in the aftermarket. If your Kawi dealer said they couldn't order it they're full of crap. We stock them all the time. The only way they wouldn't be able to get it is if Kawasaki's out of stock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A lot of your options depend on where you are: no auto tire place around here will mount a bike tire, and no bike tire place around here will mount a car tire. Not even the Honda place will do car tires anymore. And I've found zero places anymore that will mount a car tire on a bike rim. Zero. Slowly but surely I've been collecting what's needed to change my own tires but I fear I'm too old to be messing with it.
Mounting a car tire on a bike is virtual suicide. Do NOT listen to the "Dark Siders". As a shop we are not going to let our customers kill themselves by putting the incorrect tires on their bikes.

·
944 Posts
I would agree with Glenco1883 and I would never install a car tire on a bike, but here is a detailed explanation of the pros and cons of doing so.

·
Super Moderator
10,810 Posts
Look-- I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. If you don't want to run a car tire I don't care. Just don't think for a moment you'll convince me of anything either. Posts like Glenco's are the reason the nanny state is winning and is reason enough to reconsider. It's tried and true technology. To each his own, live & let live, etc. Despite your unwarranted concerns it can be and has been for decades done safely.

Chill out man.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My tire came on Wed and it looks as big as any 15in car tire wonder why they put such a fat tire on a medium size bike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts