Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have seen 1 thread that touches upon this subject. I would like to install the rear trim tip for my 2009 K-Vulcan 900 Classic Lt. from National Cycle. I realize that the fender is plastic and there may be a problem attaching it. Has anyone successfully completed this mod with no ill effects? Should I toss the lock washer in favor of a nylon washer and apply locktite to secure? Is the 3m tape provided dependable? Any pros and cons you may have will be helpful before I purchase. Not really likin the auto trim application more the tips (personal choice). More for protection against stone chips, cracking and such along the edge. Thanx for any input.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I tried to follow the instructions for my Nomad rear fender tip.National cycle tips were a disaster for me,template way off,tip studs at 2 different angles,so I wound up cutting off the studs and using epoxy to adhere the tip.The 2 front fender tips were better.Yes I had the exact tips called for my bike.....

·
Trusted SW Pulley Adviser
545 Posts
I have experience with these chrome tips on both front and rear fenders of my 900 classic. I've posted the entire story here before, but the short version is that the tips cracked my front fender at both ends within just a few hundred miles. They were installed correctly according to the instructions. I saved the rear fender from damage by altering the installation.

I removed the nut and tiny lock washer from the installed rear tip. I replaced the lock washer with a large normal washer that had a small center hole. I used Goop glue on the washer before placing it on the stud, then added more Goop before replacing the nut. I tightened down the nut snug but not too tight. Then I used a finger to evenly spread the squeeze out over the nut and washer. This has held now for 4K miles with no movement or damage, and trust me, I check it often!

I agree with Bill... the tips for the 900 are poorly designed/machined as far as installion goes. The template does not match well, the studs are way too short, and the little lock washer is a disaster waiting to happen. Road vibration caused it to eat away at the hole you drill in the fender and in my case, cracks happened. I replaced the front fender and opted for different trim rather than risking damage again. The rear fender has held up well so now I would be more likely to try again on the front.

If it were me installing from scratch, I would grind off the stud and use epoxy to mount the tips. The double stick tape really holds well but without the stud and nut, I'd be nervous about tape alone holding the tips on. If you use the stud and drill the hole, use glue and large flat washers to spread the load on the plastic.

·
Trusted SW Pulley Adviser
545 Posts
Probably true, but if the trim on my car or tank comes off, it most likely isn't going to kill someone. I would not want to be at road speed on my bike and have a front fender chrome tip come off and damage my tire or worse.

·
Ed Scott - Old-Time Biker
1,183 Posts
OK I installed these on a 900 custom and had all of the problems mentioned above. Additionally, since it's the custom it has the license plate garbage below, so you either need to remove that or fight around it. The templates were virtually useless but I did manage to get the hole in the right place using them and some common sense. When sliding the rear tip into place however, the tape grabbed too soon on one side and I ended up with the tip sticking out the side just slightly... probably nobody but me would notice. The real scare to me is the front though, because with the thin front fender on the 900 custom there is vibration once you put the heavy tips on. I have a long caliche driveway and it would vibrate the front of the fender enough to let the bolt hit the tire!
I took off the fender and ground the bolt down, but then had to replace the front tire soon after that for other reasons and went with a slightly larger tire, causing it to rub again. I ended up having to move the entire fender up by elongating the mounting holes at the sides. It's high enough now but still looks ok.

Just remember, once you've mounted these, you're not going to be able to just take them off... there's a hole drilled and the 3m tape will most likely do damage when you take it off because you can't get to it as easily as you do the tank badges.

this pic taken before replacing the front tire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.