Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took my rear wheel off to change the tire and this spacer fell off at some point. I didn't see where it came from but I didn't notice it until after I put my bike back together and took it for a ride. My ball bearing tore up because of it but I'm not 100% sure where it should sit. I have a 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 800. Attached is the picture of what it is & a picture of the exploded view (OEM Part Number 92027-1321).

I'd assume this sits between the frame & bearing from what the exploded view looks like, I just don't remember seeing it in that position.

·
Super Moderator
10,884 Posts
Unfortunate this happened, thankfully you didn't lay 'er down from a locked up bearing.

Based on the exploded parts, I agree. Axle through frame then the first thing it goes through is this spacer. This video ->
at 4:35 shows the wheel being rolled out the frame and I think your spacer is visible in the wheel hub. Reassembly at 10:40 shows it again.

Reactions: WFO-KZ

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yep, you found it, Tightening the axle nut without it would have been a problem. Get new bearings and seals, pull the snap rings and replace the bearings, helps to heat the hub with a heat gun or hair-dryer for a bit then they should tap right out using something through the hub from the other side., Use a pipe, large socket etc to install the new ones, tapping only on the outer bearing race. Heating the hub for a couple minutes also helps the new ones go in easier. Don't forget the spacer in between the wheel hub bearings on re-assembly.

If you don't get OEM bearings,,, Should be 1 6205 and 2 6303 bearings, take the numbers below to a bearing distributor or auto parts, those suffixes on the numbers can mean different things. Try to get the best quality, the chinese ones do not hold up.

BEARING-BALL,#6205UG

601B6205UG

$26.44

601A
BEARING-BALL,6303LLUC3/2ASU68

601B6303UU

$27.63

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunate this happened, thankfully you didn't lay 'er down from a locked up bearing.

Based on the exploded parts, I agree. Axle through frame then the first thing it goes through is this spacer. This video ->
at 4:35 shows the wheel being rolled out the frame and I think your spacer is visible in the wheel hub. Reassembly at 10:40 shows it again.
Ah yup I see it! Thanks I watched that video yesterday looking for it and must have missed it. It must have been busted way before this ever happened because it didn't look like it would fit in properly. There is another spacer/collar that sits on the inside of the bearing but it went all the way through (not like how this particular spacer sits here). So odd how this is set up it looks nothing like the bearing I bought.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, you found it, Tightening the axle nut without it would have been a problem. Get new bearings and seals, pull the snap rings and replace the bearings, helps to heat the hub with a heat gun or hair-dryer for a bit then they should tap right out using something through the hub from the other side., Use a pipe, large socket etc to install the new ones, tapping only on the outer bearing race. Heating the hub for a couple minutes also helps the new ones go in easier. Don't forget the spacer in between the wheel hub bearings on re-assembly.

If you don't get OEM bearings,,, Should be 1 6205 and 2 6303 bearings, take the numbers below to a bearing distributor or auto parts, those suffixes on the numbers can mean different things. Try to get the best quality, the chinese ones do not hold up.

BEARING-BALL,#6205UG

601B6205UG

$26.44

601A
BEARING-BALL,6303LLUC3/2ASU68

601B6303UU

$27.63
I was just going to replace the busted bearing but I've read a few posts where people have said just replace all of them. I went OEM for the busted one the others seem fine. I already picked apart the busted one and got the snap ring out. Just waiting on the new one & seal. Yea, my buddy also said that I can throw the bearing in the freezer for about an hour too which will help it fit in easier.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Depending on how hard you tightened it, the swingarm might be tweaked inwards a bit now,,, hopefully you ran out of threads 1st. If not, May need to stick a small jack in there and spread it a bit... very carefully.

Edit: And it may be tougher than I think,,, just imagining all the things that might go wrong. It could have sprung back with no problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts