Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find prices on complete rebuild kits for the engine of a 91 kawasaki ninja zx11C2 but am having a hard time finding any. I have found many other bike kits on ebay for around 300 dollars. Aftermarket of course. My engine is burning oil due to faulty valve seals and I am not sure as to whether the rings are shot. I will be doing a pressure test after new years but I would like to know if it would be cost effective to just by a whole kit and replace it all whether it needs or not. Or do you guys think I should just find out what it needs and replace on that?

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
i am not a mechanic.... and that is why I always take my machines to the same trusted dealer i have gone too for years now. I just simply pay his small fee and he inspects it.... it might cost me $30 to have it looked at.... but at least i know that i really do know what is wrong and i don't spend 300 on something that is not needed...... in short.... go find a trusted garage.. let them decide what you need.

·
Eddie Lawson is God!
5,683 Posts
Do the head. That bottom end will go 100K if you (Or more likely the PO) didn't ride it like an idiot. If you are looking for a box full of rebuild kit, you won't find one. Belly up to the parts counter of a KAWASAKI shop, and order a top end gasket kit. Made by KAWASAKI, if valve stem oil seals are not included, buy a set of KAWASAKI valve seals.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
What ELR said. There's no 'kit' made by the manufacturers for rebuilding bikes. If your valve seals are leaking, you'll probably be fine if you just replace them and have the valve seats redone. Check your ring end gap while you have it apart, but I'll bet it's just fine unless you have a lot of hard miles on them. If you just can't resist doing more, you could put a light hone on the cylinders and slip in new rings, and have a basically new motor.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks you guys. Im going to do a pressure test to see if the rings are shot. I know for sure the seals are shot so I know Ill be replacing them. The bike has ok 23k on the bike but I am unsure as to how hard the PO rode her. I would imagine that he took care of it because it is not a bad bike at all. She is very strong and runs great besides the fact that the sparks are fouled out due to oil. Thats cool, I am glad to hear I am better off just replacing what is needed instead of the whole thing. I wasnt sure if it would be cost effective to just do the whole thing, but it sounds like it isnt. Thanks a million

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
Do the head. That bottom end will go 100K if you (Or more likely the PO) didn't ride it like an idiot. If you are looking for a box full of rebuild kit, you won't find one. Belly up to the parts counter of a KAWASAKI shop, and order a top end gasket kit. Made by KAWASAKI, if valve stem oil seals are not included, buy a set of KAWASAKI valve seals.
I would agree the chances are awfully thin that your rings are bad.

I also agree with shelling out the big $$ for the kawi gaskets. I would have except my bike is so old they don't make them anymore.... and one of the cruddy aftermarket gaskets I was forced to use failed and I had to rebuild it a second time from the rods up.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick question about compression test. I have read on the interent via yahoo! that when you do the test you should listen for air escapeing. Depending on where it comes out at, that will tell you whats wrong. I think it said something that if the air comes out the carbs, then the valve seals/guides are bad. If it comes out of the side of the engine, the head gasket is shot, if you dont hear it at all but it is lossing pressure, its the rings. How accurate is that? If I have time saturday, I will do the test at work. A co-worker has a pressure tester thing and knows how to do it. Thanks for the help everyone.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
Quick question about compression test. I have read on the interent via yahoo! that when you do the test you should listen for air escapeing. Depending on where it comes out at, that will tell you whats wrong. I think it said something that if the air comes out the carbs, then the valve seals/guides are bad. If it comes out of the side of the engine, the head gasket is shot, if you dont hear it at all but it is lossing pressure, its the rings. How accurate is that? If I have time saturday, I will do the test at work. A co-worker has a pressure tester thing and knows how to do it. Thanks for the help everyone.
That's not really a compression test, it's a "leak down" test.

A compression test you screw the comp gauge into the spark plug hole and spin the engine with the starter.

I think it said something that if the air comes out the carbs, then the valve seals/guides are bad.
If it comes out the carbs, the intake valves are not seating. Could be the valve itself or the seat in the head. The valve guides and oil seals are between the intake passageway and the camshaft area. BTW, the oil seals are not intended to be a tight seal, they have to let oil through.

If it comes out of the side of the engine, the head gasket is shot,
Maybe, but a bad head gasket will also let pressure blow into the inside of the engine (or into the water passages in a water cooled engine). It may not just go out the side.

if you dont hear it at all but it is lossing pressure, its the rings.
Maybe, but I think it could still be bleeding off into the crankcase past the head gasket and out the breather passage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts