Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an all stock 88 EX500 with two Keihin CVK34 carbs that need to be rebuilt. My local dealer has a rebuild kit for 20 USD per carburetor that includes all the OEM o-rings, gaskets, and jets for a rebuild. I was wondering if there are other kits with different jets that could give me a little more power potential than stock. I say potential because I was not planning on replacing anything else (air filter, exhaust) yet but probably will in the near future. Will there be much of a gain in horsepower if I just change the jets? Would it be just as good and cheaper to buy the factory kit and new jets seperately? Thanks for the help.
Andy

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
ajctg2 said:
I have an all stock 88 EX500 with two Keihin CVK34 carbs that need to be rebuilt. My local dealer has a rebuild kit for 20 USD per carburetor that includes all the OEM o-rings, gaskets, and jets for a rebuild. I was wondering if there are other kits with different jets that could give me a little more power potential than stock. I say potential because I was not planning on replacing anything else (air filter, exhaust) yet but probably will in the near future. Will there be much of a gain in horsepower if I just change the jets? Would it be just as good and cheaper to buy the factory kit and new jets seperately? Thanks for the help.
Andy
If you just want to do a jet kit I suggest going to www.factorypro.com or www.denniskirk.com a stage 1 kit can be used without any modifications, but depending on what all you do you may need a stage 3 kit. I have an '01 500R (EX500D) I believe it has the same carbs and everything. I don't know about the rebuild kit.

I put a jardine full exhaust, K&N pods, and then did a stage 3 rejetting. I am still in the process of tuning the carbs perfectly, but that takes time.

When you replace the jets for bigger ones you get new adjustable needles, which is important. I don't know how much power you'll get without modifying the bike, the stock airbox doesn't let air in hardly at all. I can give you some helpful pointers if/when you decide to do all this stuff.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You might also wanna check www.dynojet.com, as well. They're a little more direct, and as I have found in the past, better instructions come along with the kit (but tht's just my experience)

Have a good one all :D

ZX

·
Registered
17 Posts
... with two Keihin CVK34 carbs that need to be rebuilt. My local dealer has a rebuild kit for 20 USD per carburetor that includes all the OEM o-rings, gaskets, and jets for a rebuild. Andy
I am well aware that this thread is 5 years old, and me bringing it back is a long shot, at best. But I have the same carbs, and I really, REALLY want to find these kit's he is referring too, but I have had no luck. My local dealer was as much help as my goldfish would be.

Do any of you, have any idea how or where I could find these kits, or the part numbers?

All I can find is re-jet kits for about $95. Bike bandit, Bike superstore, etc.

I can't begin to explain the good karma you could get from helping me with this....

Does anybody know who the original poster was and where he lives? I could go to his dealer then if I had too. :mad:

·
Registered
292 Posts
If you just want to do a jet kit I suggest going to Factory Pro: Producers of the EC997 Low Inertia Eddy Current Dynamometer Series and Quality MC performance products or Dennis Kirk | Frontpage a stage 1 kit can be used without any modifications, but depending on what all you do you may need a stage 3 kit. I have an '01 500R (EX500D) I believe it has the same carbs and everything. I don't know about the rebuild kit.

I put a jardine full exhaust, K&N pods, and then did a stage 3 rejetting. I am still in the process of tuning the carbs perfectly, but that takes time.

When you replace the jets for bigger ones you get new adjustable needles, which is important. I don't know how much power you'll get without modifying the bike, the stock airbox doesn't let air in hardly at all. I can give you some helpful pointers if/when you decide to do all this stuff.
can you vouch for the jardine system? i'm looking at maybe getting this system...do you know if you have to rejet? or did you just do it for the extra couple of HP?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts