Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine S/N KZT00AE107732

Numbers/letters on carbs P9, Z9, 120 2 (intake), 40 (bottom of fuel bowl), 2.0 on (throttle slider piston). Is the shop manual available online (purchase/down load). Does Kawasaki sell vintage shop manuals? Part number for correct manual?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Super Moderator
2,312 Posts
Jim, I have a Kawasaki factory service manual for a 1981 KZ1000 that covers the LTD. Not sure how much changed from 1980 to 81. My manual shows the LTD as using Mikuni BS34 carbs. These are super common carbs and if you google it you will find tons of information on them. Parts are readily available as well.

You can try here for a Mikuni manual but on a quick look I did not see anything on the BS carb series. However the Mikuni site has tons of other useful information.

You can always contact Kawi Canada and ask about vintage manuals, but searching on E-bay is likely your best bet.

Welcome to the forum, by the way Jim. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
A 1000B Ltd is going to be pretty different from the later KZ1000s as it's more akin to a 70s model. Try to get the correct FSM on EB. Make sure your motorcycle is listed on the model application chart on the back cover. On some models you have to get a base manual, then a separate supplement manual that covers your particular motorcycle. On others such as the 81-83 KZ650s the base manual & supplements are combined.

As for the numbers, there aren't very many guys who will know what they mean. The carburetors should be Mikuni VM, probably VM26, VM28 or VM29. I would measure inside the carburetor bore near the throttle slides to see what size they are. 26mm, 28mm or 29mm. The wgcarbs dot com tech stuff page might help in the identification.

·
Super Moderator
2,312 Posts
What a difference a year makes!
Martin is correct that the 1980 B series LTD is a lot different than the 1981 LTD, especially for the carbs.

It looks like your bike, the 1980 B series LTD came with VM26SS or VM28SS carbs while the 1981 LTD came with BS34 carbs.

Let us know if you are able to get a manual from Kawi. It would be good to know for future reference.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
The 79 1000 Ltd should be pretty similar, but I would get the correct manual that covers the 1980 B4 model.

This isn't quite the same thing, but years ago, I got the 1980 KZ650 clymer manual which was almost useless for my 81 650. doh. and the all-inclusive 650 clymer manual is a pain to use.
I now have the correct FSM. hard copy & pdf. :)

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
B4 Supplement. EB item number: 264894601753. $55T. sounds high, but is probably a reasonable price.

There is an EB seller out of New Zealand (e-classicbike.com) who sells reproduction copies of Kawasaki service manuals. not sure if he has one for your Ltd.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks everyone for your feedback. Will follow up on my search! :)
If
Jim
Kawasaki switched from slide/needle to CV carbs from 79 to 80 if I am not mistaken. Totally different animals, believe me. WFO gave the best advise from the messages here. Kawasaki used a couple of different models of the CV (constant velocity) carbs, but almost all the parts are interchangeable, The pilot system was the biggest difference in these models. I have a shop manual on a 1982 GPZ 750. It uses the exact same carb you describe. If you need, I will scan the pages pertinent to your needs & forward to you. There is not a lot of part # info. It does have an excellent breakdown of the difference in the (2) models used on the 1982 750's, which are the same as the 1000's.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah, you are correct. A few models transitioned to CV's a little later. I know more about the 750-900-1000's than the 550's & the smaller models.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
His 1000-B4 should have VM carburetors. I'm not aware of any Big Kaws w CV carburetors before 1981. It's possible someone switched the carburetors, though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
His 1000-B4 should have VM carburetors. I'm not aware of any Big Kaws w CV carburetors before 1981. It's possible someone switched the carburetors, though.
I agree. Not sure about the '80 models, but I had a '81 750 that had the 34 CV's & a '82 J model 1000 that had the same carbs. I am sure the jetting was different especially on the idle circuit. That is when I found out what a different animal they were. Not bragging, but I finally figured them out enough to set a B/SS record that was retired. Took me some time though, to figure out the differences. Never had any luck with pod filters. Actually, went back to the stock airbox & that is when it 'woke up'..

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
By WFO-KZ: To add to the general confusion: Kawasaki Z1000LTD (80-82)

Could be a typo. probably should say 81- 82. engine is 998cc. I think the earlier engines are 1015cc.

·
Super Moderator
2,312 Posts
According to the Kawasaki Service Specifications Handbook, the 1,000's of 1980 were all 1015cc as you pointed out and then in 1981 they went with 998 cc. So it looks like you found a typo!

The Handbook also says that in 1980 the A4, D3 and E2 all came with VM28SS carbs and in 1980 the J1, K1 and M1 came with BS34 carbs. But sadly, no mention of the B4 for some reason.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Like I said, I am not sure about the '80 models. 77-79 were 1015 cc's & had the slide/needle type carb & were actually 26mm. '75 Z1B was the last year, that I know had the 28mm slide/needle carbs. The '76 year they started using 26mm slide/needle carbs. Performance suffered drastically. I know that the '81's started the 998 cc noted as the "J" model. They had the 34-CV's on them. '73-'76 were 903cc & had the slide/needle variety. The '80 year, I am not sure of.

·
Super Moderator
2,312 Posts
Yes, the 1975 900cc Z1B was the last to use the 28mm slide carbs and when they rebadged the Z1 to KZ900 in 1976 they featured the VM26 slide carbs, but the performance hit was not all that bad. The KZ900 A4 lost only 1 HP but later that same year (1976) Kawi revised the A4 to the B1 and that lost yet another HP, so now we are down 2 HP from the Z1B. I know this because I owned and raced a KZ900 A4... plus I checked in my handbook to make sure. 😁

·
Registered
29 Posts
I raced the Z series & later on the ZX series (ZX11). Don't know how many Kawasaki's I actually owned over the years. Just remember when the KZ 1000 (77) came out a buddy of mine bought one & it was a 'dog' at the track. He couldn't run but low (13's) with it. We were all surprised. He was disappointed, to say the least. The old Z-1's were all good for low (12's). Perhaps he just got a 'Monday' bike. I too noticed others that did the same. Never saw a (1015cc) really perform like the (903cc) did. Just a very old observation on my part. Sounds like you had different experience with yours & I am glad for you.

·
Super Moderator
2,312 Posts
Interesting. 1/4 mile times have a lot to do with rider skill and of course the HP and Torque curves.
I misunderstood you when you said performance loss. I assumed you meant HP only. My bad.

I never took my KZ900 drag racing so I don't know what it would do there. I did road racing only. Well.... a bit of illegal street racing too but that was eons ago and I paid my fair share of speeding tickets and lost my license twice before I learned to head for the track when I felt the need for speed.

Your point about the KZ1000's not doing so well at drag racing probably has to do with HP and Torque curves that are not conducive for fast holeshots. They were heavier as well, weren't they?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts