Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may have read in another thread, I was looking for a bag or trunk that I could add to my luggage rack, as a permanent fixture on the bike. I came very close to purchasing the Tourmaster III bag, but for the same amount of money, I found this hard case trunk, with lock and keys.
So I ordered it on Saturday, and would you believe it came in today.
Shipping was free btw. So for $127.00 CanEHdian, I think I got myself a pretty descent trunk. I took these pictures a few minutes ago after I took it out of the box.

Came with bracket and hardware to attach it to the luggage rack.
Now I just can't wait for it to warm up outside and put the thing on.
Hope spring arrives early this year.
By the way, I'll have a studded touring xtra wide backrest/sissy bar for sale for a 1500 Classic come spring.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not having the beans for a used Harley Tour-pac, I bought the same trunk a couple months ago. One thing I found is that the rear wall where the latch is located was a bit too flexible for my taste. I laid a couple sheets of fiberglass cloth to shore it up and it's now is very sturdy. I use it almost daily with no complaints. It's a good trunk for the price.

·
Enjoy the ride
357 Posts
What kind of luggage rack are you mounting it to?

I have been researching trunks too and will most likely end up buying a wompus rack to attach it to since i have read reports of other racks not supporting the weight of a loaded trunk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a trunk just as yours. It seems to do the job for me. One thing I did was put heavy electrical tape over the screw heads that hold the backrest on. they will scratch your helmet if you do not cover them up. Enjoy the added, secure storage.

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TOPCOP~ Good tips on the tape, I will do that, thanks....oh, and welcome to the forum. However, rule around here is, you don't really exist, until you post a picture of your ride ;) (Even if it's not a Kawi)
sunshineNomad~ I just happen to have some fiberglass cloth, resin, and hardner, so I'll see what it's like after I mount it, so thanks for the tip as well.
What do you guys use to polish it ? I'm not sure how much clear coat is on the trunk (if any), and it's so black and smooth, I'm afraid I'll scratch it.
itmtchris~ I haven't a clue who makes the trunk, sorry. However if I do ever find out, I'll post it here.
mhanbor~ I don't know what brand of luggage rack I have, but I know it'll hold up to the trunk, because I also have a "jumbo" T-bag, that I filled up with everything I could for a week long trip, and the luggage rack held it with no problem.
This trunk if fairly light, and I don't intend to load it up with lead or gold bars lol, so I'm sure it'll do just fine.

·
Lets Ride!
442 Posts

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
mwmalotte ~ The pads are very firm to hard, so may not be the most comfortable for your wife. My wife for some reason leaned into it last night, and she said she preferred the firmness....go figure.
How does it compare to a standard backrest?

Is it leather/pleather covering it or kinda hard plastic?

(Sorry to seem like I'm drillin' ya here, my wife and I both really like the looks - and cost - of this trunk!)

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How does it compare to a standard backrest?

Is it leather/pleather covering it or kinda hard plastic?

(Sorry to seem like I'm drillin' ya here, my wife and I both really like the looks - and cost - of this trunk!)
Not feeling drilled at all, I'm glad to help.
The backrests are covered in leather/pleather, and I think they installed styrofoam behind it, instead of sponge, hence why it feels a lot firmer. With that said, it would be very easy to take off the backrests, remove the styrofoam and replace it with a foam sponge material of your choice and density. The pads are easily removed by the unscrewing the screws on the inside of the trunk. Like I said, by having my wife sit down and lean back into it last evening, she seems to find it more supportive than the sissy bar backrest, mainly because of the lower lumbar pad on the new trunk, which the sissy bar doesn't have.
However, we'll know more once we take it out for a spin together, but so far, she is pleased with how it feels. Now if spring can just come around.......
Feel free to ask away, and I'll do my best to give you an honest answer (s). ;)

·
Forgot to grow up
1,118 Posts
Judging by price and look, that's gotta be a mutazu. I have the other style they sell on both mine and the wardens bike. It's a little weak but has lasted 2 seasons, more importantly it holds 36 cans of beer ;). The cobra rack on the wardens 900 couldn't take the abuse though.

All in all the Mutazu can last a while if you are a bit careful. Good bang for the buck IMO

And just cause I can't stop myself

Mine with Mutazu bags only

Mine with bags and trunk

The wives before paint

·
Registered
86 Posts
As some of you may have read in another thread, I was looking for a bag or trunk that I could add to my luggage rack, as a permanent fixture on the bike. I came very close to purchasing the Tourmaster III bag, but for the same amount of money, I found this hard case trunk, with lock and keys.
So I ordered it on Saturday, and would you believe it came in today.
Shipping was free btw. So for $127.00 CanEHdian, I think I got myself a pretty descent trunk. I took these pictures a few minutes ago after I took it out of the box.

Came with bracket and hardware to attach it to the luggage rack.
Now I just can't wait for it to warm up outside and put the thing on.
Hope spring arrives early this year.
By the way, I'll have a studded touring xtra wide backrest/sissy bar for sale for a 1500 Classic come spring.
NICE!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dudester has answered all the question the same way I see. Mine is mounted in the solo position so I am the one who get to use it as a back rest. Sure does make a long day into a piece of cake. I am not sure which is the best mod I have done but it is a toss up between the trunk and the fairing.
[/IMG]

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does anybody know if there are any coats of clear coat over the paint to make it harder by the manufacturer ?? I was just wondering if any of you found it scratched easily. No big deal, as I could always paint it if it gets too scratched up, however, I'll try to do my best to keep it scratchless. What do you guys use to polish the trunk for a hard protective shine ? I think these trunks are made of plastic instead of fiberglass, but I may be wrong about that.
Classicblack~ Where did you get your saddlebags ? Were they expensive ? They look real nice and match the trunk nicely. I've seen several hard bags for sale, but most are only around 14" high, which I wouldn't like the look of on for my 1500.
Thanks

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just wrote the seller on e-Bay, and he says that the to keep costs down, they only give the trunk one coat of clear coat. So, I'll buy a spray can of clear coat, and add a few thin coats. Anything I should know about preping the trunk before I spray ? I already gave the trunk a waxing, can I just spray over it ?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.