Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much oil is too much oil on the filter? and what do oil (personal preference)do you use

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
if its a stock paper filter then you DONT oil it :?:
but if your using a K&N or similar you just need to lightly wet it down NOT DRIPPING WET, a nice consitent color is best

·
Registered
128 Posts
the ex500 uses a cloth type filter element that can be cleaned-reused. (at least mine does)

i clean it using wd-40, and spray it until it starts dripping black fluid (yum)
i squeegee it off, and let it air-dry for about 15 minutes. once it's dry, i take maybe half a capful of oil, maybe not even that much, and massage it into the surface of the filter, till it feels like it has oil evenly all over in it. put a little oil on the foam gasket to seal it to the airbox, and you're done.

if you use too much oil, you'll have a puddle of oil under your bike for a few days as it drains out of the filter/airbox.

as far as what type to use, i use whatever oil goes in my bike's engine, as i usually clean it when i change my oil. tha's also what's reccomended in the user's manual.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
FILTER

Right on rednek426...your filter will work just fine like that! I had some discussion a while back...seems the stock oil filters on the 500R's do need oiling...therefore cleaning first...wd-40 is better than soap, as it IS oil based and then leting it dry down before adding your motor oil is a good thing to do. Okay the bok may not call for this exact proceedure, but common sense and years of experience will lead you to the best ways of doing things. I was soaking mine thouroughly in diesel (oilbased and then spray bottleing untill there was no more darkness running out then waiting fo r the spare to dry before oiling it...and putting it in a ziplock in my gym locker,,I have two lockers that have 5 doors on each one...duct taped the louvers to keep the mud dobbers (bees out) and I have an instant clean storage space for my battery tender, bottles of oil, lamps,, chain lube, you name it... then my work bench for my tools and junk that require larger spaces...

·
Registered
128 Posts
once i get some more cash built up, i'm planning on getting/making air pods to eliminate the stock box, and re-jetting it. in theory, this should coencide with the time they reccomend replacing the filter, after 5 cleanings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts