Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A common problem where I live is digging a hole in red clay. So today, when trying to dig a few post holes to replace rotted split-rail fencing, I was getting nowhere fast, bouncing the post hole diggers off the ground like it were a trampoline. But I had a hot flash- an auger. Not the big gas-powered rental job or the the kind on a bigger machine, but the kind electricians use for boring wood- look like this

Put it in a hand drill (make sure it has reverse!) and go to town. Punch a few holes, clean out loose dirt, repeat. It cut my digging time by at least half.

·
Line rider
326 Posts
If you have a shop vac you can reduce the time you spend cleaning the loose dirt out. Just remember to empty the bin out once in a while.

·
Super Moderator
10,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dammit! Never thought of that. I guess I was too excited about actually getting holes dug to think further into the process. What a dum-bass.....

·
Little AL
271 Posts
I have grey clay mixed with red clay at my place. You can try to use a shovel on the stuff but you'll run out of steam and shovels befrore you get very deep. The farmer down the road told me to water the area where I wanted to put fence posts over a week, on and off. The next weekend I rented the motorized auger thing and it was like drilling into butter.:newyear:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Southern Indiana here, red clay mixed with Limestone. The auger won't work here - you would be drilling away through the comparably soft red clayand hit a 200 pound Limestone rock under the groun surface. Not good for the drill, the auger, nor your arms/hands, lol.

I'm for the "drench it" plan. Anytime I have serious digging to do, I'll over water for two or three days before, then drench about an hour before digging. It may be muddy, but the clay softens up and getting dirty is the fun part, isn't it?
*amy*

·
Super Moderator
10,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Southern Indiana here, red clay mixed with Limestone. The auger won't work here - you would be drilling away through the comparably soft red clayand hit a 200 pound Limestone rock under the groun surface. Not good for the drill, the auger, nor your arms/hands, lol.

I'm for the "drench it" plan. Anytime I have serious digging to do, I'll over water for two or three days before, then drench about an hour before digging. It may be muddy, but the clay softens up and getting dirty is the fun part, isn't it?
*amy*
Not to mention the "Herman Munster Shoes" with all the clay stuck to the bottom :D :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts