Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a very small puddle of red liquid on the ground on the left side of my back tire the other day (The bike was in the garage overnight when I noticed the liquid, not while riding) and traced where the drip originated. It was coming down the underside of my swingarm but it originates somewhere under the seat, I can't see where it starts exactly but it looks like it starts in the area of the spring/shock absorber under the seat but I can't tell for sure. Before I rip it all apart to find this seal does anything come to mind to the more experienced owners out there? All the help is much appreciated!

·
Hey, lemme ride your bike
1,975 Posts
There are only so many places it can come from. Compare the color to your various used fluids, and you can eliminate some.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Probably from the air filter oil.
+1

Very easy to over-oil. Even when you think you have them squeezed dry, excess will still migrate to the bottom and drip out the airbox drain tube.
Is the fluid sticky?

·
Registered
917 Posts
seen it before. kinda like this:

Side note K&N filter spray is not for foam filters. I don't what this guy did but this stuff was everywhere.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
seen it before. kinda like this:

Side note K&N filter spray is not for foam filters. I don't what this guy did but this stuff was everywhere.
NoToil oil is also red.

Instructions say to pour a small amount of oil into the filter and work it through. Problem is, it SEEMS to be soaked in and not working any more, so more and more is added until the entire filter is red.

A few days later, it starts dripping as the excess runs to the bottom.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys are right on, I did us in filter oil (how shameful) what is a good brand of filter oil I can pick up and what stores have it?

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I like NoToil.
It's not the cheapest, but it's eco-friendly, and the filter is cleaned with hot water and their cleaner, Oxy-Clean, or I have heard that Tide will do the job (but haven't tried it), so you don't have to mess with Diesel or kerosene.

Never use gasoline for cleaning a filter... other than the fire hazard, it will also dissolve the glue holding the filter together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts