Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys and gals,

Decided today that the red rims on my Ninja 250 project bike are going goodbye. I went to Kragen autoparts and bought some aircraft paint remover and wanted to know if I had to really douse the rim or merely just paint it on with a brush. The picture shows a person scraping off paint like it was sludge and the paint bubbled up. Nice in theory and if it works that way without additional elbow grease even better.

I was gonna just by a bead blaster, but figured why spend $300.00 when I can try this out first.

I was also thinking that acid may work, but could eat at the rim too...

Need some thoughts and opinions out there... All ears!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

if its a paste type remover use a cheap bristle brush and wipe 1 heavy coat
over the area - DO NOT BACK BRUSH OR SPRED IT OUT - just 1 stroke
and leave it - most removers are parrafin wax based and over brushing
will disturb the process - its messy but easy :wink:

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
i know in the case of the ZRX rims that the center (textured) paint will NOT come off w/ the paint remover . dont know if yours will be the same way or not. maybe try it in a unseen spot and then if it doesnt tape off the center and just do the edges, then polish/clean up the edges and have red centers. :?:
good luck[/b]

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

I guess this stuff must work fairly quick as it has different times for different types of paint. The longest being 30 minutes to be done! Works 4 me minus the cancer warning stuff.

Lance, I'll try your suggestion and try only a little spot on the spoke section of the rim. Plan B is lots of elbow grease and wet sanding them down.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
1Adam12 said:
Thanks guys!
Plan B is lots of elbow grease and wet sanding them down.
that will take FOREVER AND A DAY.if you decide you just have to have the centers NON-RED also tape them off and paint them.

good luck :wink:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
talked to a few chrome shops around and they would be willing to chemical dip and strip for about $50.00 total. So I have a new plan B and plan C would be a b.tch

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
OR

TRY a salvage yard and don't mess up yours. Even having them Powder coated they will prep and do the coating...should get a Guarantee if they are a decent place...Personally no matter what the color of the bike is...I'm into the WHITE Powdercoat...like the racing mags have...I (very much) dislike chrome or brass, anything tha thas to be wiped or cleaned ALL of the time. A quick wipe with a soapy rag or a sponge and a rince no watermarks...no follow-up polishing...buffing...Then again look at www.por15.com they have some great stuff if you must...

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
ya he has a point. neve did ask you WHAT COLOR ARE YOU AFTER :?: i also agree that WHITE powdercoat is the BOMB !! i have to get mine done again on my new ZRX (im on my second ZRX, got the first one done in white and it was sweet)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's between highly polishing the aluminum or a powdercoat color. I was thinking about painting the bike in a nice hunter green with silver logos and polish the rims bright like chrome. The only thing 4 sure is that they are not staying red.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Hunter green

I'd think about it for a while...look at the magazines...I still like the white powder coat over the chrome look. Chrome even the very best of it has watermarks, dust...Solid gloss white would look boss...Red, I don't think so...either.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Definately an interesting project. I was considering something similar with my rims. I'm aware of powder coating options... and I wonder how a "clear" powdercoat would look. Surely it wouldn't shine as if it were highly polished, but it would be less maintenance.

Also if you decide to go with the dip option... surely the easiest for cleaning the spokes, I'd be interested to see what it looks like afterwards.

If I were you I wouldn't attempt to hand scrub the spokes... just cleaning them by hand is a pain.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
since your after polishing heres what i would do.
1. take the rims off, remove tires,bearings,etc...
2. have the chrome place dip them to remove all the old paint
3. get a REALLY good drill/die grinder
4. get a GOOD polishing kit
5. reserve the next 2 months of your life after work for working on them :?
6. start polishing once the weather goes bad (winter :x )
good luck

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fortunately this is the spare bike that I purchased as a hobby to tinker with. So no real time frame to get working on it or finish except for the pocketbook that is bleeding slowly.

I will be taking the bike apart in the next few weeks as I have just about everything I needed and some that I didn't need, but got anyways.

New progressive springs

New Clutch - Not sure if this a Ninja 250 thing or not, but the clutch makes a lot of noise when idling and when I pull it in the clutch noise goes away.

New Galfer brake line and brakes.brake fluid

New Pirelli Sport Demon Tires

Low profile turn signals in the front.

New Body work - tank/fairing parts

The bike is running, but as long as I am taking everyting off, I'm gonna adjust the valves. Already changed all the fluids and of course new spark plugs.

The guy I bought it from let it sit and shes running normal now after I dumped the gas and cleaned the carbs. I may put a stage 1 kit in - not sure yet. Once I'm done with her, she'll be on the 4 sale rack

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
1Adam12 said:
250 thing or not, but the clutch makes a lot of noise when idling and when I pull it in the clutch noise goes away.
ya better make sure you dont have a NOTCHED basket, and depending on how many miles/what kinda abuse/ridding the prev. owner did with it it could just be wear and tear on the drive tabs on the clutch fibres.
good luck

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QKENUF4U said:
1Adam12 said:
250 thing or not, but the clutch makes a lot of noise when idling and when I pull it in the clutch noise goes away.
ya better make sure you dont have a NOTCHED basket, and depending on how many miles/what kinda abuse/ridding the prev. owner did with it it could just be wear and tear on the drive tabs on the clutch fibres.
good luck
I got a basket and all the pieces to make a new clutch just in case and only had to pay 30.00 on ebay. I figured I could just replace the whole thing or piece by piece to diagnose it back to health.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The clicking on idle that disappears when you pull the clutch is a ninja 250 thing...

Selling it though eh? How much were the Perellis?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Aikata said:
The clicking on idle that disappears when you pull the clutch is a ninja 250 thing...

Selling it though eh? How much were the Perellis?
Picked up the Pirellis for $148.00 at my local Cyclegear, but had a 10% day when I bought them.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hmmm... That's a pretty decent price. I need to find a place that would be kind enough to give me a similar deal. I'm not terribly impressed with the stock tires thus far.

Well, after the initial repairs that is :)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pirellis in general are pretty sticky, but have the tendency to run in softer compounds on cars and bikes. Another tire I would not hesitate to purchase for the 250 are the Bridgestone Battle Axes or Metzlers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts