Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride to work in the dark and home in the dark most days and have been considering getting one of the small red safety flashers to put on my backpack. I have checked the DMV for Alabama but can't determine for sure if it is legal. I think that it should be OK as long as it similar to the ones that bicyclists use. I'm just looking for a little extra visibility from behind during these cold, dark, and often foggy mornings and evenings.

Your thoughts on legality and practicality appreciated.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I know you said that you checked DMV. They probably told you to go download the manual from their website too.
DMV: "We stop printing driver manuals to save money."

I should be studying the AL motorcycle manual to take written test and get my class M designation. i would have uploaded pdf but not patient enough to wait for 2.77mb to load.

On page 21 in the 1st paragraph of the 2nd column, it says...

"Reflective material on a vest and on the sides of the helmet will help drivers coming from the side to spot you. Reflective material can also be a big help for drivers coming towards you or from behind."

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I don't know what type of ride you're rolling; but, I like the look of the neon lights that riders are putting on their sportsbike. Too much neon would be tacky but done tastefully.

I have an image of glow in the dark clothing to match the glow in the dark motorcycle.

I can hear the 911 calls ...

911 operator: 911
Caller: I'd like to report a ghost riding a motorcycle and it's glowing.
911 operator: A What?!? Have you been drinking?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
Agree with rich on this one. Bicycles can get away with flashing lights. On a motorcycle, a constantly flashing light could be misinterpreted by law enforcement.

I'd go with reflective tape and/or more lights to be seen by. I've got "psycho" lights on the Nomad and do run with them doing their parade thing in the mornings, occasionally. Cops say that they are "OK" as long as there is no forward facing blue lights and that the flashing stuff doesn't imitate cop lights.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Generally, flashing red is a no-no. The laws cound be different for a bicycle than for a motor vehicle.

Retroreflective material is awesome, and available in various colors.
Looky here: Reflective Patches, retroreflective, embroidered and vinyl
That's pretty cool for a look; however, the problem that I have had with bicyclists who used them is that the reflective material is not large enough to see until I'm almost on the person's rear end (FIGURE OF SPEECH).

I maybe a christian but one time I dropped the F bomb as I came around a corner at night in my cage with Mr. bicyclist riding in the street with a perfectly good sidewalk a few feet away. In fact i think his yellow jacket overpowered the red reflective thingys.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
When your lights are directly ON an object with retroreflective material, they do tend to wash out if the object is otherwise brightly colored.

The difference is that the material will catch light and reflect it back from 1/4 mile away, making a very obvious bright spot in the darkness.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Try a bright yellow reflective tape. It's very visible at night. Even white is an option.

·
Super Moderator
10,838 Posts
I ride to work in the dark and home in the dark most days and have been considering getting one of the small red safety flashers to put on my backpack. I have checked the DMV for Alabama but can't determine for sure if it is legal. I think that it should be OK as long as it similar to the ones that bicyclists use. I'm just looking for a little extra visibility from behind during these cold, dark, and often foggy mornings and evenings.

Your thoughts on legality and practicality appreciated.
Have you looked into maybe installing a run/brake/turn controller?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
if its attached to you and not the bike I don't se what the law would have to say about it .
Also it would be facing towards the rear and red lights to the rear are legal.
and Hazards will flash red on alot of cars ,turn signals also. not seeing an issue

1 - 13 of 13 Posts