Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out today that by law in Virginia, all lights facing backwards must be red. Which leaves my pretty amber running lights in an awkward position. I refuse to get rid of them, they make me a hundred times more visible - but I need to make them red. Does anybody know where I could get red turn signal lenses for the EX500 OEM stalks? Or some affordable clear lenses (front and back) with amber and red bulbs available? I've scoured all the sites that usually have everything I need, with no avail - Google turned out to be relatively useless. Help!

·
Registered
429 Posts
you should check with your local law enforcement on that one. you should be ok with what u got. Usually the definition of illegal is anything not to OEM specs. just call the police and ask

·
Registered
456 Posts
Daekar said:
I found out today that by law in Virginia, all lights facing backwards must be red.
Are you sure about that? Aren't all EX500's sold with amber turn signals? Since you have a 2004, I'd ask your dealer about that one. If it's true, he will be ordering a ton of red lenses. Maybe that law applies to trailers, not cars or bikes?
Curt

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's because they're now running lights - and it was a police officer who told me :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Okay, now I understand better. I should have read your first post more carefully.

You have running lights and turn lights together, probably in a dual filament bulb. And your turn signal lenses are amber, so your running lights show up as amber. Now I see why that is a problem. Amber turn signals are fine, but you can't have amber running lights on the rear.

I agree that they would make you more visible, but it's definitely not the way everyone else does it, so I understand why the police officer told you it won't do.

It sounds like you (or a previous owner perhaps) modified your bike to put running lights with the turn signals. It would not have come from the factory that way.

I would probably un-modify it. You could cut the running lights wire that goes to the turn signal bulb. You probably still have running lights in your brake light housing, don't you?

If you insist on changing the lenses, you might find clear lenses on Ebay. If anyone makes them, you can probably find them on Ebay. If you don't see them there, they probably don't exist, and it's time to either manufacture it yourself or disconnect the running light in the turn signal. You may be able to add extra running lights by your brake light if you really like having extra running lights. Or you could possibly add a separate running light (like a truck clearance light) beside your brake lights.
Curt

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot, they're in the mail now :) Hopefully this will be the last thing I have to do for a bit because I am now flat stinking broke. They should put warning labels on these things about compulsive spending at dangerous rates. :) I'll probably get some pics posted when I've got them installed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts