Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Live Long & Prosper
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking online at Redwing motorcycle boots and then found a store in the area that stocks a couple types and sizes. I'll head down and try some on this week to determine fit and comfort. I am curious if any of you have experience with their products.

Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Over the years I have tried all of them not motorcycle boots but work boots and most if not all of these old standards have been bought up the name remains but that's about all now there is only two or three big companies that manufacture these shoes/boots so I don't look at brand names as much as fit, if there comfortable I buy them and if they're the style I'm looking for that's all that matters cost is not important because if they don't fit I toss them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have been wearing Red Wings for 4 years now for work and pleasure. They are the best boot ive ever owned. Take a lot of abuse and they are just so darn comfy. love em.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Just for info, all RedWing motorcycle boots are now made in China. I was going to look at buying a pair and went with WESCO instead. I'm tired of the volume of poorly made cr*p that comes over to us from China. Nothing personnal. But check out the Wesco web site at: http://www.westcoastshoe.com

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
Just for info, all RedWing motorcycle boots are now made in China. I was going to look at buying a pair and went with WESCO instead. I'm tired of the volume of poorly made cr*p that comes over to us from China. Nothing personnal. But check out the Wesco web site at: http://www.westcoastshoe.com
+1
I went to a local Redwing dealer in town a few months ago. He didn't have many MC boots in stock, but he came out and told me in no uncertain terms that the boots aren't what they used to be now they're made in China. I have since purchased a pair of Sidis, and have been very pleased.

·
ILBTS
1,248 Posts
I have been wearing steeltoed work boots for almost 30 years now. I have worn "alot" of different boots. some last me 8 months, some last 18 months. they either need resoling, threads start coming undone, or the leather toe wears out. until about 2 years ago. I got a new pair off the bootmobile. they were HD boots. HD logo on the sole, HD emblem on the side, pure HD boots, with a steeltoe. I have never had such a durable pair of boots in my life. and comfy too. easy breakin too. they were about $110.00 . I still havent resoled yet either. they are great for work, and great for riding.
I just looked a a couple local HD dealer sites, and as i suspected they dont carry the boot i got off the bootmobile. but i did see some very nice riding boots at both sites.
I really do suggest heading to the local HD dealer and checking out thier boots.
my next pair will definately be HD.

·
What can I spend my $$ on
619 Posts
+1
I went to a local Redwing dealer in town a few months ago. He didn't have many MC boots in stock, but he came out and told me in no uncertain terms that the boots aren't what they used to be now they're made in China. I have since purchased a pair of Sidis, and have been very pleased.
I'll have to check with a co worker, he bought a pair from the factory this summer and said that the cheaper ones are made in China but they still make some up in Mn.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I bought a pair of US made Chippewa Euro style cycle boots last year. They are by far the best pair of bike boots I've ever owned! Got them at the Justin boot outlet here in Ft.Worth, definately worth looking for!

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Absolutely love them... and they come in "B" widths for some models!
It's still not the "AA" that my feet really should have, but it's better than the standard "D" that is the narrowest available from Harley, Chillowee (sp?), etc...

I ride with a pair of 969 10" pull-on... they are the ONLY pull-on boots I've ever tried that I didn't simply step out of.
Red Wing Shoes

My work boots are a pair of steel toe 967 6" lace/zip
Red Wing Shoes

I don't care for steel toes or waffle soles when riding, but like waffles for work... I would have gone with plain toe, but the 979 is not available in my width. My boss raised an eyebrow when I turned in the receipt for the work boots... "Motorcycle boots?", but I directed him to the web site and showed him that they were both steel toe and electrical-hazard rated, and they were they only lace/zip boots in the catalog in my size.
I can't handle lacing boots every morning.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I'll have to check with a co worker, he bought a pair from the factory this summer and said that the cheaper ones are made in China but they still make some up in Mn.
They are... the entire motorcycle boot line is from China, BUT, they are as solid and durable as they have always been, and they can be resoled. These are not "bulk purchased" boots like other companies offer... I don't know if they are made BY RW in China, or under license, but they definitely are far above the level of anything else I've ever seen from China.

$60 every 3 or 4 years getting the RW's resoled makes it worth the $150-$200 for the purchase when the alternative is a new pair of $80 cheapies every 6-12 months.

The only "cheaper" ones are the "Worx" line, which are also Chinese, and are NOT up to typical RedWing quality (and can't be resoled)... they would be comparable to Bates, DeWalt, etc, and they carry the "Worx" name, not RedWing. I think they might say something like "Worx by RedWing".

·
Yet another 800 Bobber...
598 Posts
As far as protection goes I don't see much of it in any of the boots in this thread. No ancle protection, no wrist protection and most of them don't even have laces to make them stay on the foot. They may be durable and look cool, but that woun't help save your feet in a serious crash.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I wear Alpinestars Tech-8 when riding off road.

Unfortunately, many of us do not have the ability to have a change of clothing and footwear when we get to work, or wherever we might be riding to.

No, you can never be too safe, but what is mandatory on the race track is perhaps overkill on the street (at sane speeds).
Leather is THE most abrasion-resistant material availably short of steel/aluminum/titanium... or a thick enough piece of plastic.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I've got a pair. Rode with them all year, but I think I'm going to go with something more motorcycle specific like Sidi's or something.

As boots, they are pretty nice. I just think they could be better for a motorcycle. I'm getting a ton of wear on my left toe. The zipper on the right side is iffy if it'll work properly any given day. There's no easy way to secure the laces out of the way. There is no ankle support. If I hadn't spent $130 on them, I'd be very happy, but at that price, I could have gotten something better to ride in.

They are very comfortable to wear all day and to walk around in. They are also pretty good at not slipping in oil/grease/fuel/other crap on the road. Can't complain about that.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have used all types of boots some expensive some not so and even often ride in my sneakers , however the pair I ride in all the time and have had them for quite a while is an old pair of Army surplus German Para Boots. They are cheap ($40) and are extremely comfy. I would imagine that there are quite a few forum members riding in Army boots.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I ride in these boots, the first are around $190 and the second around $40

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
I use 2 pairs of Red Wings, one tall, one short ( winter/summer). I couldn´t tell you the model. Also a pair of british army assault boots. All of them excellent. Now... if I had to buy now, knowing the size in that particular brand, I would go straight to e-bay.

·
Super Moderator
10,837 Posts
I bought a pair of Redwing steel toed work boots 2 years ago. $240. Lasted less than a year, inside lining at the bottom disintegrated, had cork coming out with my feet. Biggest POS's I wasted my money on in a long time. I'll never own another pair.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts