Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an old Sears side by side fridge that's on it's last legs and we are searching for a excellent quality fridge/freezer with an ice maker that will last for years and years along with being easy on the electric bill.

Since we also have 2 munchkins who drink lots of water & ice, is the in door ice/water despencers any good & are they cost effective compared to just having a ice maker in the freezer.

Of the above mentioned styles what's the pro's and cons & what style is better than the others.

We also have a super old electric oven/stove that's got a built in microwave that's broke & needs replaced.

Would we want to replace it with a electric or gas stove & why. I'm leaning toward a gas stove/oven, but the wife sort of wants an electrice one.

We are sort of leaning toward both Whirlpool fridge and a range/oven so they are a matching pair as later on down the line a full kitchen rebuild is in order, but that's about as firm as jello :p :p :p

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
okay I'll play, go with the side by side if your use to it ,going with the others will feel like a down grade. Plus with the water an ice in the door you won't have to listen to the wife yell at the kids to close the door. there also easier to mod with aftermarket ice dispenser to get more volume of ice per minute. Make sure you get one with the replaceable water filter(helps with reducing backfires on ice ejection systems). With the range go with the dual fuel (more power from the same size unit). Dual fuel is with a gas cooktop and an electric oven. Electric oven bakes better(more even heat) gas cooktop cooks quicker (instant heat).

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
Here's my $.02:

Get the side by side fridge, but make sure the ice/water dispenser is tall enough for your glasses. Some are pretty skimpy. The type with the levers for dispensing instead of the big rubber presser spot are easier for the little ones to operate, but more sensative (meaning you might get ice all over if the kid doesn't release the button soon enough). A light on the dispenser that shuts off by itself is a good idea, although the type that doesn't can act as a guide light for those late night trips for a glass of water.

As far as the gas verses electric debate - go with the opinion of whoever has to use the thing. However, the electric oven/gas stove combo offers best flexability. In addition to heating up faster, the gas burners drop off nearly instantly for those recipes that require a lower cooking temp part way through (great for recipes using milk or butter). Stay away from gas ovens - they still aren't very good even after all these years.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
well, like Dwayne and Ken mentioned, go with the side-by-side if you want to keep the water and ice dispenser. the house we just bought came with one and it is our first side-by-side. it took a little getting used to, but we like it a lot. i am Dwayne on the dual fuel if you can. Whirlpool makes some good ones, as well as Kenmore, GE and most of the brand names.

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, we ended up getting a Whirlpool 30-Inch Freestanding Gas Range (Color: White on White) Item #: 169218 Model: SF368LEPQ and the fridge is a Whirlpool
21.7 Cu. Ft. Top Mount Refrigerator (Color: White on White) ENERGY STAR®
Item #: 130192 Model: GR2SHWXPQ

Lowes does not have a freestanding Whirlpool dual fuel stove (electric oven/gas range) so we went with a all gas unit. We could not fit a decent sixed SxS into our fridge opening & am unable to open it up any taller, so we went with a freezer on top fridge (did not like the freezer on the bottom) and this model of fridge has a chilled water despenser in the door like SxS ones 8) 8) 8)

Got a heck of a price on them as they were both special order along with my employee discount so I'm happy happy since the wife is happy happy :grin: :grin:

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1600pilot said:
as long as it keeps beer cold, thats all thats important!!!

You have lots to learn grasshopper, having a fridge with chilled water in the door keeps the kids happy & the fridge shut keeping the energy bill down :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cold beer is not important when ya have kids & a wife to keep happy :shock:

However, nothings to say ya can't get a small fridge & keep it in the "dog house" so you always have cold beer out there :lol: :lol:

·
UBER CLUB MEMBER #2
13,839 Posts
well I have a whirlpool gold series side/side with Ice and water in the door, and this afternoon my daughter went out to the kitchen and opend the door and just stood there with it open, asked her what she wanted when I went to check on her, and she said, Dad I just wanted some salami. she has also figured out that one of the button gives her crushed ice, and she likes that!!!

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
when I remodeled the kitchen 2 years ago we went with all kenmore appliances, stainless steel. We have a nice side by side ice & water thru the door model. love it...

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
spok said:
when I remodeled the kitchen 2 years ago we went with all kenmore appliances, stainless steel. We have a nice side by side ice & water thru the door model. love it...
That was the master plan, to remodel the entire kitchen exactly how we wanted it with stainless steel appliances. However, I'm applying for another job & IF I get it I'll loose my employee discount, so we figured we might as well get what we can while the getting good & save some $$$ in the process.

Next up is a new front door & a new storm/screen door if the visa can manage to squeeze that much more blood out of a turnip :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
32,545 Posts
RampRat said:
Well, we ended up getting a Whirlpool 30-Inch Freestanding Gas Range (Color: White on White) Item #: 169218 Model: SF368LEPQ and the fridge is a Whirlpool
21.7 Cu. Ft. Top Mount Refrigerator (Color: White on White) ENERGY STAR®
Item #: 130192 Model: GR2SHWXPQ

Lowes does not have a freestanding Whirlpool dual fuel stove (electric oven/gas range) so we went with a all gas unit. We could not fit a decent sixed SxS into our fridge opening & am unable to open it up any taller, so we went with a freezer on top fridge (did not like the freezer on the bottom) and this model of fridge has a chilled water despenser in the door like SxS ones 8) 8) 8)

Got a heck of a price on them as they were both special order along with my employee discount so I'm happy happy since the wife is happy happy :grin: :grin:
those should do the job just fine :grin:

·
32,545 Posts
RampRat said:
That was the master plan, to remodel the entire kitchen exactly how we wanted it with stainless steel appliances. However, I'm applying for another job & IF I get it I'll loose my employee discount, so we figured we might as well get what we can while the getting good & save some $$$ in the process.

Next up is a new front door & a new storm/screen door if the visa can manage to squeeze that much more blood out of a turnip :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
huh ? another job already ? i'm confused :-?

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
spok said:

The Mrs and I rellay liked it too! :)

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ispeed77 said:
huh ? another job already ? i'm confused :-?
Yep, putting the application for a new job in the mail today & the guy doing the hiring has already been told about me (that could be bad) and to expect a application/resume.

This is for a company that was just awarded a Army contract & is starting from scratch here in town so I'm hopping to get in on the ground floor & build a career with them doing more or less the exact same job I did in the military.

Oh and I don't really like the current job, it's not me & I'm not it but it pays the bills, so according to the wife I'm stuck there untill I find another job :razz:

From everything I've read/herd & found in research the average military retiree go thrughs 5 or 6 jobs before they find one that suits them & I'm only on job #3 :lol: :lol:

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
RampRat said:
From everything I've read/herd & found in research the average military retiree go thrughs 5 or 6 jobs before they find one that suits them & I'm only on job #3 :lol: :lol:
Sounds about right....Took six different companies after I left...Longest was five years with any of them....Next month it will be ten with this one...Like it, think I'll stick around and see what happens....

·
32,545 Posts
RampRat said:
Yep, putting the application for a new job in the mail today & the guy doing the hiring has already been told about me (that could be bad) and to expect a application/resume.

This is for a company that was just awarded a Army contract & is starting from scratch here in town so I'm hopping to get in on the ground floor & build a career with them doing more or less the exact same job I did in the military.

Oh and I don't really like the current job, it's not me & I'm not it but it pays the bills, so according to the wife I'm stuck there untill I find another job :razz:

sounds like a plan, hopefully it works out and you stay at #4 :grin:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have Kenmore fridge at my home it has top mounted fridge and have ice maker. It has temperature control capacity. I am using this fridge from last month my bill is low from previous bill.

·
Grade "A" Poser
2,454 Posts
Wow! 14 year old zombie thread. That must be close to the record for this website. LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts