Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm new to the forum and to riding in general. I have an '01 VN750 that belongs to a friend. He's letting me keep it in exchange for garage space and some refurbishing. This bike has been kept outside (under a cover) for a while and is showing it. I'm trying to polish it up and get the rust off, and I need some advice.

The trim rings around the speedo and tach are the worst. I've gotten them down to bare metal, but I don't know what to put on there now to protect them. Also, on other areas of the bike, what's the best thing to do to the steel/aluminum/chrome once I've removed the rust? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
can't help either but welcome aboard

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the hellos. This bike is already on the road; I just need to get it cleaned up in return for having it for free.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well, to get those parts looking good again, you have to paint or coat them with something. If I were you, I'd get the parts painted (which were painted from the factory) and aluminum parts coated with transparent enamel or just polish them mirror blank. Chrome parts are a bit of a problem, since rechroming is quite expensive and leaving them (without rust of course) alone just isn't pretty enough. If possible, buy used OEM or billet chrome parts from Ebay cheap.

It's a shame to see that new bike already in bad shape... :sad: Hope you do a nice job on that one.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hello Scropelite, I,m new to the board also. The only advice i can give you is to clean the chrome with rubbing or polishing compound. It'll clean the chrome as well as protect it for a short while. Sorry, but thats all the help I can offer.

Welcome aboard,
BRlawman

1 - 8 of 8 Posts