Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, im about to buy my first 500r and just wondering what you guys think about this situation. The buyer im getting it from told me the day I went to see it that he never signed the title on it cause he never even registered it to put it on the street so my question is does he have to sign it when I take the bike or can I just sign it and say I got it from the original owner? Im gonan check the vin on the bike when I pick it up and make sure it matches just wondering if this will cause a problem with him never signing the title from the original owner.

so could I just sign this title and say im registered and the 2nd owner of the bike legally title wise and say i got the bike from the first owner that this kid never signed on?

·
Registered
169 Posts
you need a bill of sale from the original owner, or just fake one.... but to do it right, he would need to sign it, then release it to you, but either way works

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my friend told me that basically this person im buying it from didnt have to sign the title cause he never registered it so when I get the bike Im gonna basically sign it and register it saying that im the 2nd owner so in the end the motor vehicles dont know that this kid owned hte bike and jsut thinks im the 2nd owner. Im gonna talk with the kid make sure nothing is shady before I hand him money for the bike. Gonn ask for the vin and check the police on it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
either way, like i said, DMV is going to want a bill of sale from the person who's name is on the pink slip.... or last registerd too .. unless your lucky..

·
Registered
63 Posts
I know out here (California) they won't transfer ownership without the title being signed over to the new buyer by the current owner, registered or not. It has a spot for the amount paid, and usually sellers are cool with putting a low figure down so tax isn't a killer. When they sign it over it basically releases them of liability and all that jazz and syas they agree to sell it to you for the price that is written down. You then have 10 days (more or less in other states) to report it to the DMV... you don't have to register it, but the sale has to be reported (transfer of ownership). They'll then send you a new title and all is well in the world. So I guess they premise the whole thing off all sales being reported... which it sounds like might not have happened in your case. In theory I 'spose you could just sign it and say you got it from the original owner, but did the original owner sign it over to him, or at all?

·
Registered
169 Posts
ya they say 10 days, but who cares, every car ive gotten ive waited over a year, then went into dmv, they never give you any problems... but i guess if you wrecked or somethin they would... either way, current registerd person has to release the vehicle... im pretty sure.. maybe you'll get lucky tho

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
see this is where I have to see the title in my hand in person and a good vin. I ran a vin he had on the ebay listing and it showed a 2004 kaw vulcun 800 or some **** so that is giving me 2nd thoughts now. He told me originally that he bought the bike from a shop but never signed the title. I dont remember 100% what he said so tomorrow i'll get on the phone with him and set this straight then get backon here with some more info. I swear sometimes you have to tape record people to compair there information to make sure its legit.

The california dmv sounds like new jersey so we'll see what happens but as of now my main concern is I wanna know if title is signed, why not, and vin check if this vin check dont come back i wanna see the title in hand and compair to the bike but even then I dont think im touching it cause then how do I know the previous owner is legit on the bike. I took $3000 loan out for this bike so this kid better not shady me out over all the trouble I went through to even get this loan.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did a vin check on this bike and carfax says no such vin shows up in there database but then autocheck shows the bike as a 1998 vulcan 800 drifter, 500cc???? this kid never signed the title telling me that the shop he got it from supposedly told him he didnt have to unless he wanted to register. Ive decided aint dealing with shady title and sale moving on to another seller.

Im lookin at now a used 1995 Ninja 600r for $1900 with 12,000 miles on it its ugly as **** i think the lime green color and looks like something vanilla ice rode in his movie lol but its cheap, it wont kill my heart if it gets dropped and road rash on it and at same time its only 70hp not a big *** jump from the 500r's hp rating.

·
Registered
169 Posts
im getting me a 96 600 with 25k, and its clean and new tires for 1500 bucks... its rated at 105hp, i think that 95 has around there

·
Registered
285 Posts
this is my new name, i picked up the 600r today, $2100 with taxes, just needs a new rear tire, and side marker is cracked but other then that, with some maintance on it to be safe, and whatnot it should be good to go. Took it down the street today for the first time but I wont keep going on here off topic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts