Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here ever relocated there oilcooler to get away from headers etc.( in summer it has a hard time staying cool so I thought anything could help) and if so where to and with what results. I'm thinking of getting two K&N cone filters and getting rid of the airbox, which would give me room to move the oil cooler to. Bike is '86 ZX 1000R Any thoughts?
Thx
Timbo

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Putting the oil cooler near the carbs will heat the fuel, (bad) and take the cooler out of the airstream, (also bad). IMHO, your best bet to shed heat, is to have the pipes porcelain coated, and to change to one of the radiator fluids that help shed heat like Water Wetter.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, thanks for the advice. I was wondering about that. I am having the headers coated. And I'll check in to the fluid thing. Thanks again :)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
For the love of dirt don't add any fluid. An OIL cooler is just that, an oil radiator. There is no water or coolant involved.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
For the love of dirt don't add any fluid. An OIL cooler is just that, an oil radiator. There is no water or coolant involved.
He has an '86, ZX10. It's water cooled as I recall. That's where the water wetter comes into play. :D

·
Registered
437 Posts
A thought

Wouldn't take too much metal fabrication to make a heat shield. plus also properly made, could funnel air into the oil cooler, like a cars fan shroud.

Also I run without lower fairings most of the time, and especially in really hot weather. Maybe an idea? But those water cooled motors sure are ugly: maybe not.

Does your model run a cooling fan, and I wonder if it is working properly? Maybe an updated fan could work wonders.

Just thinking out loud here, I don't remember how my last water cooled motor worked cooling wise, but I think I saw a fan on a friends Vulcan????

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
He has an '86, ZX10. It's water cooled as I recall. That's where the water wetter comes into play. :D
Oh, sorry, I didn't even pay attention to the model. I saw 86 and thought air/oil cooled, especially since he called it an oil cooler.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts