Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to fix my 98 400 prairie rear end because the case went dry if any need to find a good price on a remanufactured one (diiferential)or maybe a used one i see one on ebay for 450.00 after core swap i also see one for a 2000 300 prairie for cheaper wondering if this will fit my wheeler or any suggestions on whereabouts to find one for less than 450.00 thanks for any info

·
Registered
628 Posts
Look up your quad on Kawasaki.com and cross the part number for the Prairie 300 and see if they match.

Allballs sells a rebuild kit for the rear differential for about $50. You have to have a bit of mechanical skill (and the tool to take the internal nut out) but it DOES work as long as there is something left of your housing to rebuild.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Look up your quad on Kawasaki.com and cross the part number for the Prairie 300 and see if they match.

Allballs sells a rebuild kit for the rear differential for about $50. You have to have a bit of mechanical skill (and the tool to take the internal nut out) but it DOES work as long as there is something left of your housing to rebuild.
I knew there had to be another way.. you could buy a complete bike for $450.. Hell I'd swap in a different rear end for that price.. Maybe an 8.8 out of a ford??

·
Registered
628 Posts
The part number for the '97-'98 Prairie 400's don't match the Prairie 300's part number for the rear differential housing BUT, all of the Prairie 300's and 400's from 97-02 use the same bearing rebuild kit.

I think that Kawasaki probably revised the rear end design some for the later models but they are functionally the same. Different part numbers, but interchangable. The only way to know for sure is to try it.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
The 400's run a different gear ratio than the 300's, so only bearings interchange.

I open these up all the time that have been locked due to lack of maintenance, and nearly always the fix is under $100 in parts. The labor is the bite, so if you do that yourself I would expect you can fix the old one to be like new quite inexpensively.

Save garage space from being cluttered up with old ATV junk bought off ebay laying around when you find you bought someone else's garbage, by just fixing what you have.

·
Registered
628 Posts
It's a 54mm (if my memory serves me) internal hex nut. So instead of having a socket with 6 points on the inside, they're on the outside. Kawasaki wants over $100 for this tool which I thought was just ridiculous... so I made my own.

I started with a 34mm (again, if my memory serves me) impact axle nut socket for a car. I took some crude measurements about how big the final product needed to be, and started grinding. After about an hour I had fashioned a socket which would turn the nut for about $13. I just ground along the sides of the internal socket points until both the inside and outside had matching 6 points and the outside 6 points matched the read-end nut. Crude, but it got the rear-end apart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.