Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know of a good type of remote starter? The only ones I have seen online look like cheap toys. I want something that will:
1) not damage the motorcycle
2) have good range
3) have some kind of minimal security feature (such as engine kills if key not inserted within so and so minutes).

Does anyone know of anything good? Does the dealer even have something like this that is OEM??

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
dude, sorry i don't know of any at all. welcome to the site though. you may want to post your question in a different spot, maybe in the mechanics corner or, depending on what you ride, the cruiser or sportbike section. i am curious why you would want a remote start on a bike though ?

·
Registered
439 Posts
i just use my key :)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Welcome to the fourm Dude,as far as the remote stater goes I would have to say the dont exist for a bike.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Try Scorpio or clifford alarms.

I am pretty sure clifford has something that can work

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
They don't make remote starters for bikes. Bikes are manual shift. You can't install a remote starter on a manual shift vehicle. No respectable installer will mount a remote starter on a bike and manual transmission car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
meanie said:
They don't make remote starters for bikes. Bikes are manual shift. You can't install a remote starter on a manual shift vehicle. No respectable installer will mount a remote starter on a bike and manual transmission car.
Actually you can put a remote start on a bike or a manual shift car. But you are right any respectable intsaller would not do it. But I can be done.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Dude, just interested in why you're looking for a remote starter. Assuming you lock your bike it'd be a little hard to jump and run and I'm not sure you'll need to get the heater warming the windows in the morning. Novelty item or have you got something up your sleeve?

·
Registered
233 Posts
There is plenty of remote starters for bikes on ebay,just curious as to how they pull the choke out, LOL..the ones on ebay are security systems as well as remote starters,,but as mentioned before why do you need one???

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
haha wow. I thought my thread was a dead one. Well I don't have a garage for my bike so I want some minimal security, and at the same time, yes its a novelty. So far I've got the Xena disk brake lock (highly recommend these to anyone who is interested in buying disk brake lock), and most remote starters double as bike alarms. I saw the scorpion alarm. It is nice it sends you a page on a little reciever when your alarm goes off.. up to half a mile away i think?

Anyway yeah, I am just wondering if the kickstand will still keep the bike from starting (with the remote) if it is not in neutral. There arent many hills around here so if I can get someone who knows wiring to keep that in tact I will be fine. I would just hate to see the bike lunge forward and onto its side because it was in gear.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I was in a Victory dealership today with a friend (went in to look at the new Hammers but they're not in yet) and they offer a remote starter kit for their bikes. I asked the salesguy how many of those he sells with the bikes and after a strange look he said that they'd never installed one and couldn't really figure out why people would want as they also sell a remote alarm system. Your choice I guess but the remote alarm is probably a good investment on your bike if it's outside.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
The Dude said:
Anyway yeah, I am just wondering if the kickstand will still keep the bike from starting (with the remote) if it is not in neutral. There arent many hills around here so if I can get someone who knows wiring to keep that in tact I will be fine. I would just hate to see the bike lunge forward and onto its side because it was in gear.
most likely you "could" wire it to work either way, but the factory setup should prohibit starting while it is in gear and the stand is down. like i said, that could be bypassed, but i would think that it wouldn't be on a normal installation. just like in a car/truck with a standard transmission. you could wire a remote start to only when the e-brake is applied or if the vehicle had a neutral switch, then you could make it work off that. its all about how you want it wired and how it gets wired. on a bike it shouldn't be a problem as you have a neutral indicator.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you put a remote start on a bike you are just asking for the trans to be *barely* in neutral when you turn it off. That barely neutral which is good enough for the neutral indictator slips into first or second gear as the starter starts the engine. There you go, you come out to your bike (which may be running) on its side.

There is one kind of bike I can think of that you would be okay putting a remote start on it. A trike with a parking brake.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Dude said:
does anyone know of a good type of remote starter? The only ones I have seen online look like cheap toys. I want something that will:
1) not damage the motorcycle
2) have good range
3) have some kind of minimal security feature (such as engine kills if key not inserted within so and so minutes).

Does anyone know of anything good? Does the dealer even have something like this that is OEM??
Try these guys, Talon motorcycle technologies, they have an alarm called the Komodo. It has the engaged transmission lockout and paging and motion sensor.... You prayers have been answered. View the alarm on the site here KOMODO ALARM

·
Registered
229 Posts
Buy a Boss Hoss with a 502 Corvette V8 and nitrous ! Then you can get all the attention that you want ! Besides, it's easier to put car stuff on car motors.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts