Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

remove packing in muffler good/bad????

15373 Views 13 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Kawasakian
just wondering what the function of packing a muffler. i have the wicked bros. 2-1, the baffle is wrapped in a packing material, i was told that this is just to quiet the muffler down.

will removing this packing decrease performance?

what is the function of using the packing vs. not?

I have also read that the baffles have louvers in them and removing the packing permits the exhaust to move in and out of these perforations therefore decreasing exhaust flow. is this true?

Any packing removal will allow the exhaust to flow better than being restricted.The jets might have to be adjusted in the carbs to compensate.
The noise level will increase(and a chance for a ticket) and you might notice a drop in performance as "back pressure" or restriction is figured in for the engine/exhaust system operation.

Any packing removal will allow the exhaust to flow better than being restricted.The jets might have to be adjusted in the carbs to compensate.
thanks for the reply, just trying to get the correct info. like stated above i have had people tell me that it will and that it wont hinder performance.

why do you say possible drop in performance?
It will lose some low end torque but not that any one will notice being it will sound much faster.
I don't think it will hurt it at all...my wife had hers gutted on her 11 Honda Sabre and it ran fine with the exception of a little popping during downshifting...backfiring...but nothing I worried about.
It will lose some low end torque but not that any one will notice being it will sound much faster.
can you explain why or how it would loose some low end torque?
I won't give you the tech (since I'm no good at the details) but changes in exhaust flow can affect performance.

"Back-pressure" is the pressure caused by the exhaust flow being restricted. Many engines are designed with this in mind. Reducing the exhaust pressure will change the tune of the engine.

I had a Toyota truck who's exhaust pipe would separate about two feet from the engine. My noise level would pick up, my performance would drop, and my gas mileage would go to pot. After pounding it on three times & replacing the clamps, I just took it in and got it welded.

Back-pressure can be important.
I won't give you the tech (since I'm no good at the details) but changes in exhaust flow can affect performance.

"Back-pressure" is the pressure caused by the exhaust flow being restricted. Many engines are designed with this in mind. Reducing the exhaust pressure will change the tune of the engine.

I had a Toyota truck who's exhaust pipe would separate about two feet from the engine. My noise level would pick up, my performance would drop, and my gas mileage would go to pot. After pounding it on three times & replacing the clamps, I just took it in and got it welded.

Back-pressure can be important.
So even if i have a baffle i will loose back pressure? i thought that thats what a baffle was for to give some back pressure back?
something to think about when considering buying those $500 exhaust systems. i doubt they engineer any backpressuring in those. they are all straight through designs, no room for exhaust gas re-routing.
something to think about when considering buying those $500 exhaust systems. i doubt they engineer any backpressuring in those. they are all straight through designs, no room for exhaust gas re-routing.
maybe you did not read my post carefully, or I was not clear enough. The pipes I have came with a baffle and packing around the baffle. My question was if I remove this packing would there be any performance lost.
yeah and the topic lead to back pressures n stuff i guess i got sidetracked....
The noise level will increase(and a chance for a ticket) and you might notice a drop in performance as "back pressure" or restriction is figured in for the engine/exhaust system operation. Any packing removal will allow the exhaust to flow better than being restricted.The jets might have to be adjusted in the carbs to compensate.
how big of a drop in performance
how big of a drop in performance
It depends on the bike. FI not so much.
2008 thread. Funny how one guy posted the bike poped and backfired on decelration, which indicates a lean condition. He did not see this as bad. His valves particularly, his exhaust valves, will see this as a problem as they will burn up quicker. :)
1 - 14 of 14 Posts