Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I noticed the left side of the shield was shaking, especially at the higher speeds. I found that the screw going through the bracket into the fork tube was loose. When I went to go tighten it today it wouldn't move. Upon more careful inspection I saw that it wasn't threaded correctly. After a little more elbow grease I ended up stripping the allen head.

The "easy out" method won't work because the screw doesn't turn. I ended up slicing the head of the bolt to get a flat head screw driver in. No good. Still won't turn. I cut the head of the bolt off completely, sliced another cut into the bolt itself and still no luck. Here is where I am. It looks like a hack job now. Any ideas how to get this P.O.S. out of my bike?

·
Ready for next DOD!
1,974 Posts
Ouch... Is there enough to grab it with a pair of channel locks... if more was hanging out you might be able to use a pipe wrench...

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Use some good penetrating oil like PB Blaster,or liquid wrench to lube the bound up threads. Let it soak for a while and them heat up the stuck part followed by a application of ice. The temperature change should loosen it's grip.

·
Politicians' Nightmare
1,871 Posts
If the screw was mis-threaded by the dealer perhaps you could get them to remove it. Good luck - it's one of those really frustrating problems!

·
The little guy said it.
17,962 Posts
There's also products like this one:

Best of luck.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
With a 900 you probably found the manufacturer's only means to finally get someone to trade the old one in for a new one!

If you go to a tool store, or even a discounter like Harbor Freight, they have what are known as reverse drills for removing broken bolts. It will be a bit tricky, as you will want to remove your windshield, cut the offending bolt off flush with the boss into which it is screwed. Then center punch the bolt and use a slightly smaller reverse bit to drill it out.

Chances are that it will start unscrewing once it gets hot from the drilling, but if it does not then take a tap of the size of the bolt and work out the last chunks of threads from the boss.

Slow, but always works.

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
Looks like there is plenty of bolt left to get a grip on... as mentioned before, and from personal experience; a good penetrating oil a little time should help. Freezing the stuck bolt may work as well, but I've never tried this myself.

·
Premium Member
15,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I think some penetrating oil and a twist of a pipe wrench will hopefully do the trick.

·
Premium Member
15,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Penetrationg oil and a vice grip did the trick. Thanks for the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts