Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to install some of those nice heated grips, from dual-star, but my first problem is that I have yet to be able to get my grips off. I have not found anything in any of my manuals (kawi or clymer) on how to do it, and whe I try to take the ends off the bar I get nowhere. I'm just kinda stumped, hoping somebody on here has messed with it before.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Haynes says....

To remove the grip portion of the handlebar, remove the mastercylinder+throttlecable/switch housing and / or choke cable and switch housing.

Remove the plug and the bolt behind it then detach the grip from the handlebar upright.

Torque for the bolts is 23Nm (16.5 ft-lbs)

I'm guessing maybe they come off from the inside rather than the outside?!! The ER says to remove the weights to get them off whereas the EX it says to remove the bars.

For the ER it states that the right hand twistgrip will slip off the handlebar end, whereas the left-hand grip is bonded in place and must be cut off.

Hope that gives you another line of thought.

It seems to suggest you threadlock in your bar end weights too :)

Chris

·
Registered
44 Posts
Forgot to say I have slip over heated grips (Oxford Hot Hands) that were a present from my Aunt, and they are great, though the real things are even better. Hope you got some with a temperature control.

They really DO make a difference when riding at night etc :)

Or am I admitting I am a wimp?? ;-)

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cjiom said:
Forgot to say I have slip over heated grips (Oxford Hot Hands) that were a present from my Aunt, and they are great, though the real things are even better. Hope you got some with a temperature control.

They really DO make a difference when riding at night etc :)

Or am I admitting I am a wimp?? ;-)
I've finally got them installed, impact tools + lots of lube do wonders. I have a high/low setting, so I should be good all the time, it is usually very warm here, but riding at below freezing temps sometimes gets annoying, hence I bought some heated grips.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts