Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm wondering does anyone know what size socket is needed to get the ball joints out of the A frame?
I've tried using a large adjustable wrench which just falls off of the 1/8" thick nut and the same went for a big pair of channel locks. I'm guessing you have to have a socket to turn it.

Also when I removed the bolt from the lower ball joint there was a groove in the center of the bolt, does this groove supposed to be there? to me it looks like it's been worn out or grinded perhaps, I know on some cars the balljoint bolt is supposed to have a egg shaped groove in them to help keep the balljoint from freely rotating.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
The ball joints have the nut on the tapered shaft that goes through the steering knuckle. Remove that nut and use either a picklefork or a ball joint removal tool to remove the tapered shaft from the knuckle.

Then you have a 30 mm snap ring on the top of the top joint and on the bottom of the bottom joint that keeps the threaded body from unscrewing from the A-arms.

Once the snap ring is out of the body of the joint, you can use a deep socket or box end wrench to unscrew the joint from the A-arm. I throw every Crescent wrench in the garbage because they are not "tight" enough tolerances to handle the joint body nut without stripping the corners. Fail to remove the snap ring and you will never get it out. If it is rusted, use a solution of 50% acetone and 50% clean engine oil, and apply it to the threaded sections and let it soak 15 minutes and try again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RCW, I ended up using a propane torch and a giant pair of channel locks. that sucker was in there, years of rust and crud. 1 minute with the fire and out she came.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts