Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A previous owner of my VN800 spray painted a bunch of chromed parts of the bike, specifically both rims, lower fork tubes and the triple trees. This is somthing I'd like to undo, as it looks terrible and the paint on the rims is flaking off.

What methods have you used that are proven to work without damaging the chrome?

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
There are a # of different products that will remove paint w/o hurting chrome but paint thinner is probably the most readily available. I'm not sure what effects if any it might have on rubber so you might want to keep it away from any rubber bits.

·
Registered
217 Posts
A previous owner of my VN800 spray painted a bunch of chromed parts of the bike, specifically both rims, lower fork tubes and the triple trees. This is somthing I'd like to undo, as it looks terrible and the paint on the rims is flaking off.

What methods have you used that are proven to work without damaging the chrome?
Something else to consider, you may remove all the paint and find the guy scuffed all the parts as part of prepping to paint. :(

Tony

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
Something else to consider, you may remove all the paint and find the guy scuffed all the parts as part of prepping to paint. :(

Tony
I would guess if the parts were not sanded or something, the paint would just peel off like nothing.
So if you need to try and remove it, something was done to the chrome to get the paint to stick.
So once you remove the paint, be prepared to have to rechrome the parts.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would guess if the parts were not sanded or something, the paint would just peel off like nothing.
So if you need to try and remove it, something was done to the chrome to get the paint to stick.
So once you remove the paint, be prepared to have to rechrome the parts.
It scrapes off easily with a fingernail, I just want to be able to remove it as efficiently as possible without damaging the chrome underneath. I'll also need to get into some nooks and crannies, so some sort of liquid solution will probably work better than scraping. I have a new tire to install, I'm just waiting on removing the paint from the rims first.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brake fluid on a rag should remove the paint with a little scrubbing. Wear gloves too. Avoid getting the fluid on other painted parts as it acts like a low grade stripper.
I tried this and it didn't really work. I'd still need to use steel wool, which would work without the brake fluid anyway. It might be easier if I let it sit awhile, like overnight, but scrubbing with the rag didn't do anything.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It scrapes off easily with a fingernail, I just want to be able to remove it as efficiently as possible without damaging the chrome underneath. I'll also need to get into some nooks and crannies, so some sort of liquid solution will probably work better than scraping. I have a new tire to install, I'm just waiting on removing the paint from the rims first.

Get "Aircraft Stripper". You can buy it at Walmart, Pepboys, etc... Metal can with a picture of a jet plane on it, can't miss it. It strips down to bare metal, works good. Read the directions and follow them. You will need plastic srapers, tooth brushes, etc.. It is a gel like material, that you apply, then let sit for 30 min or so and remove. You can do it with your tires on the bike, just tape them up first so nothing gets on the rubber.

I heard people using "oven cleaner" to strip also.

Good Luck,

Tony

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
iv used xylene and mek(methyl Ethel ketone) or acetone thinners to remove old paint from chromed surfaces with a sos pad.most people use enamel paint to cover the chrome cause its cheap a good paint thinner will make it soft and come off.

then when you are done getting the paint off wash with hot soapy water rinse and use a fine rubbing compound and chrome polish and a buffing ball to bring back the bling of the chrome,oh use the sos pad it is gentler on metal surfaces than a steel wool wad is wont scratch it up.good luck on restoring the chrome finishs just take your time -corey-

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
iv used xylene and mek(methyl Ethel ketone) or acetone thinners to remove old paint from chromed surfaces with a sos pad.most people use enamel paint to cover the chrome cause its cheap a good paint thinner will make it soft and come off.

then when you are done getting the paint off wash with hot soapy water rinse and use a fine rubbing compound and chrome polish and a buffing ball to bring back the bling of the chrome,oh use the sos pad it is gentler on metal surfaces than a steel wool wad is wont scratch it up.good luck on restoring the chrome finishs just take your time -corey-
Thanks. This is probably what I'll end up doing. I've heard of the oven cleaner method, but a friend claims that the chemicals in the oven cleaner will ruin the chrome.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Turpentine,lacquer thinner,enamel reducer,lighter fluid or even acetone. MEK and Xylene will go right through your skin and into your blood!:eek: That crap melts plastic and human brain cells! SOS pads will remove paint AND chrome, stay away from steel abrasives and scotch bright pads unless your going for a brushed look instead of a polished shine.Elbow grease rags and plastic brushes and a squirt bottle filled with whatever thinner/remover works. Have a water hose handy to rinse with. Stay away from oven cleaners,drain cleaners and acids as they will eat chrome too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So...lacquer thinner works and fine steel wool (grade 0) works, but together they worked very well without marring the chrome. The rear drum components and the chain guard had been painted in addition to the rims and lower forks. The finish underneath everything was in fairly good condition, some spots better than others. All in all, it looks much better than when it was painted.

Before:

After:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.