Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
I've heard of using aluminum to clean chrome plated steel but not for cleaning other aluminum. At least I think that's what they were talking about doing. Are you cleaning up some mag wheels?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have used aluminum foil wetted down with coca cola to remove rust spots from chrome. Never tried it on aluminum though. I wouldn't think it could hurt.

·
WFO Enthusiast
89 Posts
I have used aluminum foil wetted down with coca cola to remove rust spots from chrome. Never tried it on aluminum though. I wouldn't think it could hurt.
best thing to use on chrome is 0000 steel wool. It will remove rust, clean and polish at the same time and it won't scratch. Still not sure what kind of rim we are talking about here. If these are the little spokes, they are chrome. If its like a mag wheel, then its all aluminum.

·
Registered
276 Posts
These cannot be wire spokes of aluminum since that would be too weak. If you are referring to the large "spokes" of a "mag" wheel, give things a light rubbing with one of those abrasive 3M pads with a little dishwahing detergent in warm water. Aluminum will for an oxide skin that protects further corrosion, but the oxide is dull in appearance.

·
retro rider
291 Posts
I use this stuff:

Aluminator Aluminum Oxide Remover and Aluminum Brightener

It's not a magic spray it on and it's new in zero effort. It is a mild acid that will get into areas that are hard to hand pollish. I use it and 600 sand paper to wet sand. Repeated applictions to areas that you can not hand pollish will do some good...

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
They should be steel, yes. The rims are aluminium, as you would know.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had pretty good success with 000 steel wool and WD40. A fine scotch brite pad works well too. It will look like a big bag off gunky *** when your done scrubbing,so rinse with brake cleaner or give it a good blast of WD40 again.I use good old WD40 on all my bikes wheels,even my new bike.It keeps the spoke nipples lubed and offers a layer of protection from the elements on the spokes and rims.It also works wonders on removing chain lube fling from the wheels,swingarm and under the rear fender.

·
Registered
276 Posts
No easy substitute for elbow grease or powered polishing wheels when it come to aluminum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts