Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a tough little question. I'm in the process of removing an engine from a 1985 GPZ900R.
I've removed everything that needs to be removed as per the factory service manual but the engine won't come out.

The engine is held in the frame with two long bolts at the rear and two shorter ones in the front. I removed them all and supported the engine from underneath but it won't drop down all the way. It just drops a couple of milimeters. Strangely enough I can light the engine up in the frame a 2 inches or so, but going down seems impossbile. I even went as far as puting a car jack between the frame and the engine and trying to jack it out, but that didn't work either and I didn't want to push it, was afraid of damaging the frame. I made sure nothing is in the way but still the engine won't drop down.

Anyone had a similar experience with this bike?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a little picture to show you how the engine sits in the frame. The spots marked with A are the bolts that hold the engine to the frame.
Untitled.png

·
Registered
186 Posts
Assuming you are 100% certain there is nothing else fastening the engine to the frame, you may need to ease it out with the help of some gentle prying. Be careful where you pry and protect the engine with something soft like wood so the prybar does no damage. However if it is that tight I would start to suspect that the frame has been bent or twisted and this is what is making removal so difficult. Another thought is sequence. Maybe the motor has to go up and forward before the back end can be lowered.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The later model GPZ900R was supposed to have a shim installed in the left front motor mount. You might check and make sure it has been removed as it might be binding and preventing the engine from sliding free.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts