Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:? Woyld one of you friendly blokes, tell me the correct way to remove the rear wheel from my VN1500. It is the first time I have had to do this and I am trying to save a few Quid.
Please help

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
VN1500 rear wheel removal

Well, you did not say if you have stock exhaust or not, but I'll tell you how I did mine - I have V&H straights. You will need to jack up the bike a bit. A motorcycle lift is the best way. Be sure it's secure and clamp the front wheel brake on so it won't roll. You need to jack the rear up and keep the front wheel on the ground.
I had to remove the rear exhaust muffler to gain access to the bolt that holds the rear brake caliper bracket. This bracket and the caliper have to be removed. Take off the caliper (two bolts) and prop it up out of the way. With the exhaust removed and the caliper removed, you can undo the cotter pin and remove the axle nut and slide out the axle. The rear brake bracket should fall out. Watch for spacers and note their location as this is done for reassembly. You can now shift the rear wheel to the right (viewed from the rear of the bike) and the wheel is now free. You may have to jack up further to get the wheel out from under the rear fender. It is not necessary to remove the rear fender to get the wheel out.
Cheers and good luck mate!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts