Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm such a loser for overlooking these things. Well I've missed my 600mile service on my ninja 250 and am now over 1000k... Would I still be able to get the dealer's service to prorate it or something? And also, should I renew my warranty on it? I get really confused with all these legal matters and what would be the best way to approach it. There was a local shop I went to for a new rear tire that I like, but than they might void warranty if I go there for service instead? Please help?

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't believe your warranty is affected if you do not take your bike in for the recommended 600 mile service, and just perform the service yourself. A lot of riders will perform their own 600mile service and just log the details in the owners manual.

As well, the bike's new warranty is provided by the manufacturer, not the specific dealership. Purchasing a tire, or having service provided by a manufacturer's dealer other than the one you purchased the bike will not void your warranty.

I've never purchased an extended warranty myself. I maintain my own equipment, and don't see the need to give away money for something I don't think I will ever require.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I'm really trying to learn all these stuff. I really need to get a rear stand so I can lube my chain since that's the one thing that needs to be done often. It's so much money to renew the warranty. Is there any information I would need besides the owner's manual to do my own services?

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Yeah I'm really trying to learn all these stuff. I really need to get a rear stand so I can lube my chain since that's the one thing that needs to be done often. It's so much money to renew the warranty. Is there any information I would need besides the owner's manual to do my own services?
Purchase a serive manual from the manufacturer, and ask questions here. I picked up a set of pit stands from Canadian Tire for less than $200. They come in very handy when performaing maintanence.

·
Crazed Zed-head
2,076 Posts
Your dealer shouldn't give you too much trouble for having some extra miles on your bike prior to service. If not, time to find a new dealer. That said, I'd take it in right away just to be safe. On a new bike, the oil should be replaced at 1000 miles regardless.

If you live in the US, as far as the tires go, research the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. One of its provisions is that manufacturers cannot void warranties for owners replacing consumable items (such as air filters, oil, tires, brakes, etc) with non-factory items unless the manufacturer provides those items free of charge.

Canada may or may not have similar legal provisions, I just don't know.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
They can't void the warranty because you servie the bike yourself, or if you have someone else service it. However, they can void it if the service isn't done. You're already late for the first PM, stop worrying about the warranty or who does the service, and just get the service done. Keep your receipts and document when it was performed.
I do all of my service myself, but I did just have some warranty work done a few weeks ago...no questions asked.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
Purchase a serive manual from the manufacturer, and ask questions here. I picked up a set of pit stands from Canadian Tire for less than $200. They come in very handy when performaing maintanence.
+1 although i have the Pit Bull stands. Invest in the service manual...its worth more than an extended warranty

BTW the 600 mi service is and oil change and checking all the tightness of the bolts etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts