Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I repainted my wifes KZ440 gas tank. I used automotive spry can paint. I also used clear coat. My wife filled up tank over a month later (painted during non riding season). She spilled some gas on the tank and it ruined the paint. I want to repaint again but want to pretect from this happening again. What can I do to protect the paint from inadvertant gas spill? I polished and wxed the tank after painting but the gas still ate through it.

Thanks

·
1985 ZN 700 Mutt
18 Posts
Just my 2 cents but as a auto painter gas should not have been able to do that, go to a paint shop and use the good stuff like ppg dupont ect. also might want to try going to a couple of independent body shops they will always have left over from previous jobs. I do not have much faith in anything in a rattle can but rustoleum. Once you put down a great finish you'll want to paint anything that doesn't move! Good Luck

·
1985 ZN 700 Mutt
18 Posts
True - I hear about automotive paint in rattle cans would think that would be fuel resistant to some extent have never used any of it sorry for my ignorence!

·
retro rider
291 Posts
I had the same issue with a Dupcolor's "Paint Shop" laquer kit for cars. I shot it with a compressor and clear coated it. Looked great but even gas vapor will mess with it. Once had it overflow on a hot day and there went my week of effort.

I put on a thick clear coat and you can wet sand and pollish out the damage.

I hear modern laquer has no lead in it, so, it does not do well with gas like laquer did years ago.

I will never shoot laquer again and would love to hear what works better for a do-it-yourself job.

·
1985 ZN 700 Mutt
18 Posts
try acrylic urethanes or acrylic enamels base coat/clear coat system can buy small quantity. ultra 7000 system by sherwin williams is great quality for price or ppg has similar but abit pricy. I've used so many but make sure you get data/mix sheets, if instructions followed hard to screw up biggest mistake i've seen is rushing between coats. I shot a repair spot and stripe on a old byplane 10-12 years ago and used buterates (sp) same paint as used on model a's old world paint I left a little of this paint in a detail gun and several hours later the paint has solidified in gun and I threw one of my favorite guns in trash WHAT PAINT! I believe there are still speciality companies putting out old school paints haven't looked yet just if you wanted to do a 10-15 coat hand rubbed laq finish can't beat the look! but the finishes made today are oem replacement quality and much easier to apply and much more durable than 20 30 years ago. Go nuts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your replys. Yea I used automotive rattle can paint and clear coat. I thought there would be some gas resistance in that but obviosly not. Well I guess its strip the tank again and go for another shot. Sucks cuz my wife loved that colour and I doubt I will find it in another paint.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Spray Max 2K will work good over Duplicolor. I painted mine with Duplicolor's Metal Specks, Burnt Copper. Topped with 3 coats of Autozone clear, then 3 coats of Spray Max 2K. Spill gas all the time w/no problems. Be sure to wet-sand between coats. Once clear has cured 24hrs, apply good coat of carnuba. Great shine, easy to keep clean.

·
Finally Free
142 Posts
My factory paint got blemished when gas was spilled on the tank. Fortunately for me, it was the previous owner that did it (so i got a little discount) and there are a couple of body shops in the family :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'd recommend not letting your wife fill the bike. ;) That would probably be the best protection. My wife CANNOT fill her tank without having some gas spill out. Its some kind of a rule and I've just taken to filling it for her when we ride together.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just my 2 cents but as a auto painter gas should not have been able to do that, go to a paint shop and use the good stuff like ppg dupont ect. also might want to try going to a couple of independent body shops they will always have left over from previous jobs. I do not have much faith in anything in a rattle can but rustoleum. Once you put down a great finish you'll want to paint anything that doesn't move! Good Luck
+1 gas shouldnt have done that, Rustoleum All surface is da bomb, got both of my tanks painted with their flat black spilled gas multiple times and no problem

·
Registered
5 Posts
Look into powder coating. It comes in every color and finish and won't even come off with a hammer!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts