Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so im repainting the ole zx600r, dark blue with green flake. any how as I have been doing work on the gas tank, i had my old gas cap on but still managed to get alot of body filler dust in the tank. What should I do to get that stuff out? I cant just fill er up with gas and turn the petcock valve on and let it drain because the petcock valve uses vacume

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
If it were me I'd use some rubbing alcohol to flush out the tank. Soap and water will work but then run the risk of rust in the tank. Alcohol will absorb water(just be careful about what type as the higher than 70% can ignite).

You might remove the petcock to aid in flushing the tank. Maybe a rubber stopper will work to keep the alcohol in the tank while you swirl it around.

I'd do this outside as the fumes will be strong. Even if you used gasoline to flush it out with what would you do with the used gas? Alcohol is a very mild sovent with very low toxic exposure limits.

·
1989 Ninja 500 "Myztic"
910 Posts
Do you have an air compressor? You could try blowing the dust out, if it's dry in there that is.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it's too wet in there so I figure maybe ill remove the petcock and run mineral spirits through it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
ide just use gas take the petcock off and slosh it around just do it somewhere in your yard you dont want grass no biggie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts