Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Replace headlight bulb with LED bulb

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  rbentnail 
#1 ·
I need a brighter headlight on my 2001 Nomad 1500. Looking for direct replacement of stock bulb with a brighter LED bulb. Any recommendations?

#2 ·
Way, way back when I had an 800 and then a 1500 Classic I installed an Eiko 80/100 watt bulb. They were cheap, less than $10, even at the dealership. It wasn't LED but it sure lit up the night!

#4 ·
The sport touring guys like the F2 LEDs. They're good enough I put a pair in my Yamaha FJR. But I have dual headlights. I don't think, other than color, one would be much brighter than the OE bulb. For me, with a single headlight, the 80/100W bulb mentioned above was the way to go.

#5 ·
Based on the feedback, I am leaning toward an 80/100W halogen bulb. OEM is 55/60W. The proposed bulb is more of an electrical load and will run hotter. Any electrical issues to look out for? No wiring size issues? No heat issues? Power supply/fuse issues? Why not higher watt bulb?

#6 ·
That's a lot of extra load for a wire and alternator that were designed for a lower wattage bulb. Given that this is an older bike, the connectors are likely already creating resistance (and heat) from corrosion. Increasing the load will make this worse. Case in point, my 1984 bike with stock bulb exhibited a partially melted headlight connector. My solution was to replace with a brand new connector and an LED bulb that draws less than 10 watts.

#7 ·
I had no electrical problems nor problems with heat on both my '03 '800B and my '04 1500 Classic. I ran the same bulb in each (as described above) and a second bulb in the 1500. After 4 yrs I sold that bike and it was fine. I also had very little in other added electrical loads- no heated gear, no fancy electronics, not even a phone. 1 gps, that's it.

#9 ·
I thought my 04 Nomad needed a brighter bulb, Realized it seriously needed aimed as when new, hi beam came pointed at the road approx 60 ft out. After alignment, I found the Sylvania Silverstar bulb was plenty bright. Find a long flat stretch at night, Have a helper to adjust or sit on the bike. adjust so the hi-beam 's bright spot is centered in your lane and as far down the road as possible without lifting the bright spot off the road. Amazing difference and no one ever flashes their light at me when on low beam, rarely even when on high.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.