Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new SS front brake hose and the correct brake fluid for my 800. I've never changed brake line or even fluid before.... How hard is this to do myself?

Any advice would be great.

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
Hiya Dave! Take off the OEM cable & put on the new one & then bleed! Piece of cake man! You can do it easy. Check out Gadget's site:
Hydraulics Bleeding (Brake and Clutch)

I got one of the irrigation syringes & a piece of rubber hose at the local farm supplies store. Took me about 2 min to bleed em. Works great!! Be sure to protect painted surfaces real good though, brake fluid will ruin your paint pronto!! :shock: 8)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hiya Dave! Take off the OEM cable & put on the new one & then bleed! Piece of cake man! You can do it easy. Check out Gadget's site:
Hydraulics Bleeding (Brake and Clutch)

I got one of the irrigation syringes & a piece of rubber hose at the local farm supplies store. Took me about 2 min to bleed em. Works great!! Be sure to protect painted surfaces real good though, brake fluid will ruin your paint pronto!! :shock: 8)
Thanks!

This may sound stupid, but whats the best way of pulling the current hose off with the least amount of mess? Drain first?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Suck the fluid out the master cylinder with a vacum pump 1st or if you don't have one, put a clear piece of tubing on the bleader and drain into a bottle.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
1,694 Posts
I took off the top of the hose first then used kitty litter around the front wheel. took loose the bottom and let the hose drainn into the kitty litter.
hooked up the new hose at the top first then the bottom. opened the bleeder and pulled the brake a couple times. Then I went into the bleeding process. (build up pressure, open bleeder for a mili second, build up pressure,,,,) Remember to keep the reseviour (sp) full but don't over fill it. I used a bungie cord & zip tie to hold pressure on the brake handle. It took me about 10 minutes to bleed out the new hose. I also took a small screwdriver and tapped the hose with the handle to get out any stubborn bubbles.

(COVER THE PAINTED AREAS OF YOUR BIKE!!) Front fender and gas tank areas to include the frame!

:D
Aif

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I'm certain it's not difficult to do, but rather than go buy the necessary equipment and run the risk of even accidentally marring my paint, I'd rather just pay someone to do it. I all SS cables I still have to replace. Push + Pull throttle, clutch and front T-brake lines. I know, I know... I'm not hard core, but hey look at it this way. When I finally get around to taking it to the dealer and paying them to put them on... I'll be earning my 99% Poser Patch. Yay me.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Thanks Trikebubble. BTW do you still have those pics of how to run internal handlebar wiring? I need all the help I can get!
Their should be a thread or three under the "how to / projects" section with all the stuff. search for 3 seperate threads, I can't remember the exact titles, but they were something along the lines of "airing out my pits, pt1 (pt2 & pt3)

Here's a link to my photobucket page with the pics:
trikebubble/My 05 Vulcan 2000 LTD/Apehanger Installation - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

1 - 9 of 9 Posts