Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
_-=ShAd0vVfAx=-_
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the proper procedure to replace ONLY the plug wires. By ONLY I mean not having to replace the entire coil. Do you just strip a bit of wire off the end and slip it into the coil pack and screw down the plastic cap?, and for the plug boots, do you just screw the wire into the boot? Any help would be appreciated .... SORRY I FORGOT TO MENTION WHAT BIKE I HAVE :) 1992 Kawasaki ZX750J

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
MOST coils have NON-REPLACEALBLE wires... they are sealed at coil and screwed on at cap. but SOME will have replaceable wires from both ends.. if you can unscrew yours from the coil then yes you unscrew them, put the new wire in with some dialectic grease and screw it together...

·
_-=ShAd0vVfAx=-_
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine did unscrew at the coil...well the caps did..the wires just slide right out..and my boots did have a screw in them. The old wire was green and rotted right off the boots. I really didn't want to spend 160$ on coils because I don't even know if the bike will fire. So far I have had no luck at all. I bought it without the engine in it, so I took it to my friends cycle stunt shop and we threw in the engine but we can not get it to fire up. It's like there is no spark at all. I did get new plugs to try so we will see if that has any part to play in it.

·
_-=ShAd0vVfAx=-_
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I guess my homemade plug wire job worked out. The bike fired up but with a small disaster 2 minutes later. That is more discussed in my new thread though.

·
_-=ShAd0vVfAx=-_
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I unscrewed the caps from the coil packs and the wires slid out. I then unscrewed the wires from the plug boots and screwed the new ones in and i stripped a bit of the cover off the other ends of the plug wires and slid them into the coil packs and screwed down the caps. I did also replace the rubber pieces the go on the wires so the wires don't slide out of the coil packs

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
sounds like ya did the plug wires just fine... as for the IC burning up it happens, welcome to old electronics....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts