Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Always Learning
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cheers All from Missoula, Montana!

Question for you. I just took my 07 Nomad in for its annual checkup/oil change and asked them to check out a light clicking noise that I could hear from the front tire. Would click faster as the tire went around faster. They rode it and listened, could hear it. Put it up without weight on it and it wouldn't click. Their best guess is a bad front wheel bearing.

So, am putting this out there to see if anyone else has had that issue. I will be checking my warranty (I have just under 11,000 on it). Any recalls that you've heard of?

Any input is welcome. Will have it tended to later this week. Last thing I want is for my front wheel to lock up on me! :)

Thanks and let me now if you want any snow - MT got hit with 2 feet of it earlier this week (though not Missoula).

M

·
Registered
995 Posts
Something in/on the tread? Ever hear a rock in the tread of a tire. It goes click, click, with the speed of the tire. You wouldn't hear it with the weight off the tire either.

·
Lets Ride 08 900 Custom
852 Posts
Mike, very likely is the bearing, my brother had a bearing go out on his Mean Streak while on our trip through your area a few months ago. He heard a ticking the day before, next day on our way from Helena to Yellowstone it went completely at 70mph, scared the crap out of him. Thank god for Stillwater Steel horse in Columbus, saved the day. wasn't that much for the repair so i would say do it. Not much else in the front that could make a ticking noise.

·
Always Learning
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Richard - many thanks! Glad your brother ended up okay and that Columbus could be of help. Also hope the trip through here was enjoyable! Am looking at doing a loop from here through Vancouver WA down along the coast and into CA, then back up through NV next summer sometime. Should be fun.

Again, thanks much. And Duffy, I'm glad to say that checking for a rock was the first thing I checked. :)

Will move forward with the replacement. M

·
Lets Ride 08 900 Custom
852 Posts
Mike, the trip was fantastic, you live in an amazing state with more beauty than I was ready for. only regrets were waiting 46 years to visit and not being able to stay longer. On you trip down this way, take Hwy 6 back up through NV out of Bishop, CA came home that way, great back road ride. Be aware though, there is a streach from Tonopah to Ely thats 170 miles of no services. If you make it all the way to LA, I might be able to help with some good places to visit.

·
Always Learning
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Richard! Will check that out on the map. Let me know when you're ready to come back up this way and I'll line you up with some outstanding backroad rides and fun places to investigate in Montana. If you haven't considered it, check out the Red Lodge, MT Beartooth Rally in July. An incredibly beautiful spot with great folks from all over the US attending. See the forum on it for details. I wasn't able to get there this year but hosted some of the gang riding through Missoula from WA enroute to it.

Cheers and will let you know if my Vancouver-CA tour comes to fruition! Sure hope it will! M

·
Always Learning
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Final chapter on the clicking noise, guessing it was a bearing. Sure enough, it was. Nice to get THAT fixed! Nicer still - came under the extended warranty!! Add to that a crystal blue sunshining day (24F) to ride home on and it was a good way to put my baby to bed for the winter. Now just waiting for the spring thaw to arrive sometime next March, April, May? :) Cheers and happy winter ahead! Thanks for the input! M

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.