Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, I'm new to motorcycling, and have been researching for my first bike. I looked into the sub 5k range because of my budget. since gas is getting so high, and here in VA cycling seems very popular, bikes are holding thier value so well that It seems I can buy a new bike and sell it in a year or two and have money for down payment on next one!

this class is pretty thin, I was looking at the 500ltd, honda VLX, and Savage 650.

The 500ltd seems to be the best bike here, although I cannot seem to find and tests about the savage. does anyone have a clue about this bike?

well to the point I am 6'2" and 300lbs(not muscle). will I be able to ride this bike on the interstate? 70mph is all I need. would this be a good 'my first bike' for me or am I simply too big for it?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
HONESTLY

The best thing to do is to just go set on them and feel which one fits teh best. Set on it for quite a while, and let the salesperson know what you are doing so they don't freak out or bother you. Feel the position of the bars, the controls and how you feel setting in the saddle. Any of the bikes 250cc and above will get you to the speed limit...they just may take longer. When you decide upon the bike, take the MSF course, which will provide a 250cc and then get your motorcycle license and money together your insurance, and go get the bike!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

welcome yusuf :wink:

you could ride a 500 ,no problem but i would consider a vulcan 800 classic for a guy your size :wink: you would be much more comfortable,and a used 800 can be had for less than
5k. as far as running 70mph the 800 would feel alot more stable at those speeds,which
inspires confidence,but the ltd is a great bike and very reliable :wink:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what are the differences in the 800, 800classic, and the 750?
it looks like the 750 is newstuff?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

check out the kawi website and you can view and compare all of them or visit
the dealer and sit on them better yet. the 800 is a skinny front tired chopper style bike as i call it and the classic is a fat front tired bike made it the classic style (big tank,big fenders)
many off the 800 riders here will tell you its a great hiway bike for its size and quite
capableof running with much bigger bikes-i have 7k miles on mine and it rides just like day
1 and with absolutley no problems :wink:

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I would recommend a 800 also, the 500's are a bit anemic and on the small side ( I'm talking cruisers here, sportbike power will be two to three times the power of a cruiser with same size engine ).

The Savage although a great bike is IMHO way too small for you, it's a great bike for a 5 foot tall person who won't be doing much highway driving.

An 800 on the other hand will allow you to ride the highways and handle a passenger, it may be enough bike to last you a long time. If you're in the market for a 800 I would also check out the Suzuki Volusia, I had one and ( No flaming guys ) think it's probably the best deal in the 800's.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Welcome to the board. I agree, go with the larger motor. In some bikes you can go from 650cc to 1100cc in the same model without noticing much difference in ride, handling etc. If you're going to be out on the highway, you'll like the 800 better.
First order of buisiness is the MSF basic riders course. You will thank yourself over and over for taking that. :wink:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

the volusia 800 is prolly the best 800 going with the shaft drive and bigger look
but its in the kawi family sort of so its all good :wink: :lol:
they just don't make any good colors :cry:

·
Registered
16 Posts
what are the differences in the 800, 800classic, and the 750?
it looks like the 750 is newstuff?
Everyone is right about the 800...an awsome bike...comfortable and sure footed in the corners

The 750 is far from new, it's been around for 19 years in the same configuration....dual over head cam and dual carbs. It has several features you will not find on a lot of bikes it's size....

dual disc front brakes
cast wheels
fuel gauge
tach
shaft drive

You need to sit on the bikes....they are kinda like a pair of shoes....they need to fit well and serve the purpose.

The 750 is an awsome commuter bike because of the power sitting on the throttle at highway speeds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts