Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I may be in the market for new tires for my 500R and need some help. If I am going to get new tires, I want a good set of street tires (no track use, but do want something sporty) and I'd like to go as wide as possible without causing any problems.

Stock:
front- 110/70/17 (23.1" diameter, 874 rpms)
rear- 130/70/17 (24.2" diameter, 835 rpms)

Plus Sizing:
front- 120/70/17 (23.6" diameter, 854 rpms)
rear- 150/60/17 (24.1" diameter, 837 rpms)

I am pretty sure some folks run this plus sized combo on their bikes and I'm looking for feedback on running these size tires. Any problems whatsoever, any handling issues?

Also, I'm looking for a tire that won't cost a lot, provides as good or better traction in all weather types than the stock Bridgeston Excedras (sp?), and has more of a sport bike feel to them. Any recommendations on tire model and where I can find decent prices.

I really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I had read that - good stuff! That's how I got the tire sizes :wink: . Hoping to get some additional feedback on this setup (not the supersoft tire, but the size) from freakinout and anyone else with thoughts on the matter.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Plus Sizing:
front- 120/70/17 (23.6" diameter, 854 rpms)
rear- 150/60/17 (24.1" diameter, 837 rpms)

Is a perfect setup on this bike, I am currently running pirelli diablo in those sizes on my ex500. My bike is quicker to make turns, sticks 100x better, and going very low speeds the bike feels as light as a feather. The better compound gives much better stopping power. Much better feedback from these tires too. The rear fits just right and the front actually looks like its the correct tire.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Is it possible to get a pic of those tires on your bike? I am wanting to go the same route as you, but would love to have a visual aid to help with the decision :wink:

I just don't trust the stock tires, I've felt them slip on some twists, and now I refuse to take turns like they were ment to be taken :cry:

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
03SSgt said:
Is it possible to get a pic of those tires on your bike? I am wanting to go the same route as you, but would love to have a visual aid to help with the decision :wink:

I just don't trust the stock tires, I've felt them slip on some twists, and now I refuse to take turns like they were ment to be taken :cry:
Yeah, I can take some closeup pics this afternoon when I get back from work/doctor appointment.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
freakinout, so the tire isn't too wide for the rim - thus giving the tire too much flex in the twisties :? ? Doesn't sound like it, but that's my only worry.

So, it looks like the size thing is more clear now.

Does anyone have recommendations for brand/model? The Diablo would be way to soft for what I'm looking for, I'm pretty sure. I want to get some mileage out of new tires, but I also want something the looks like it belongs on a sport bike, not a moped (like the stockies do). Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
axle - the 3.5inch rim on the ex500 can fit up to a 160, and the pre 97 suzuki katanas run a 3.5inch rim and it is very common to find people running 150s and 160s on them. Never heard of anyone having problems.

Picture time

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the pics! Looks like you have a lot more contact patch with those tires than the stocks. This will be the size I run if I get new ones.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
axledeep said:
Any thoughts on.....

Michelin Pilot Sport ( http://www.kneedraggers.com/index.php?partno=42-R-PILOT-SPORT )
vs.
Bridgestone BT020 ( http://www.kneedraggers.com/index.php?partno=41-BSTONE-4 )

Any other tires I should be looking at for durability/stability on the street with sport tire appeal?
The BT020's don't come in the correct size, a 150/70 won't fit I don't believe.

The pilot sports are supposed to be great tires and have good durability. Diablos aren't quite as long lasting, but I did get the front tire for free.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
aggh :oops: , I overlooked that the BT020 doesn't come in the right size. Thanks :lol: . I wonder if the Diablo is still on that special?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
axledeep said:
aggh :oops: , I overlooked that the BT020 doesn't come in the right size. Thanks :lol: . I wonder if the Diablo is still on that special?
From what I've been told they are out of fronts, but the special ends at the end of today anyway.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for the pics.
Those look more of what I am looking for, too bad the special ended :cry:
I'll probably end up with them anyways, who knows :wink:

Thanks again,

SSgt Andrus

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
nice picks of the tires. Just can't believe how close your rear tire is to the brake line in the pic. Is there really not that much room?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
rlovrin1 said:
nice picks of the tires. Just can't believe how close your rear tire is to the brake line in the pic. Is there really not that much room?
I think thats the angle I got it at, there is about 1/2 inch of clearance for the tire and the swingarm, the brake line looks funny because of the rearsets I put on. but there is quite a lot of room in there actually.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've done some more researching.
I am thinking I'll run the Pilot Sports.
I'll run the 150/60/17 rear.
I think I'm going to run the 120/65/70 front, which will keep the diameter the same as stock keeping the speedo the same, keeping a few ounces of weight down from the 120/70, and giving a little more clearance between the fender and tire.

Anyone have any thoughts on running a 120/65 vs. 120/70 compared to the stock 110/70 :?:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts