Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious about what they mean when they say 'reserve' as it pertains to fuel. Is the fuel tank compartmentalized-where a small chamber has a 1 gallon reserve or so-so when you turn the petcock to reserve the bike receives fuel from that chamber....or am i way off base. shed some light on this question please.

also, any zzr600 riders out there, you know how many miles per tank or gallon you typically get?

thanks

·
Registered
456 Posts
In my post at http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=980&highlight=cup, I said
Curt said:
. . . You can think of the reserve like a cup inside your gas tank. Set it to on, and most of the tank will run through the engine, but the cup stays full. 150 to 200 miles is probably pretty typical. When the bike starts to sputter, flip it to reserve to let the reserve go to the engine. Another 50 miles or so should be pretty easy. When you fill up, the gas splashes all over and fills up everything. Just make sure you always flip back to ON every time you fill up. And it's a good habit to check it every time you start the bike, since someone could play a joke on you and set it to reserve while you're away from the bike . . .
When you're set to reserve, the engine can get all the gas in the tank, whether it's in the main tank or the reserve tank. When you're set to on, the main tank can go to the engine, but the reserve stays full (assuming you don't turn the bike upside down).
Curt

·
Registered
154 Posts
You have 2 small pipes inside the tank. Top of the longer one is about 1" or so from the bottom of tank. If the level is lower than that, you have to switch to reserve. That will close the longer pipe and open the shorter one which has its top flat with the bottom of tank. It will allow the engine to get the rest of gas.

·
Registered
19 Posts
as long as we're talking about the reserve tank, i'll toss my question out.

If you fill up before having to switch to reserve, does that gas get old? or does it get mixed and used with the new stuff when you fill up?

·
Registered
182 Posts
grilldcheese said:
as long as we're talking about the reserve tank, i'll toss my question out.

If you fill up before having to switch to reserve, does that gas get old? or does it get mixed and used with the new stuff when you fill up?
It gets mixed.

·
Registered
191 Posts
also

Also for bikes with vacuum diaphramed pet cocks. the pri setting or 'prime' is not to be on when riding. This is for if you run out of gas or the float bowls are empty. This setting will let gas run through as it bypasses the diaphragm an opens a ball bearing that lets fuel flow.

the reserve was answered pretty well by cale

1 - 6 of 6 Posts